A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Dear Audi: It's Winter again and these wiper blades still suck

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dear Audi: It's Winter again and these wiper blades still suck

Did you let someone from Florida make the decision to pick these blades? Did you give bonus points for the channel on top that fills with water or slush and then freezes the entire arm into a useless stick scraping ineffectively across the glass? If that was your plan, you nailed it. Did you also carefully design the new wiper arm connector that *nobody* has any winter style blades for? I especially like that part. That's genius. So, thanks again for all the careful engineering that clearly went into the wipers on my car, I really appreciate it up here in New England Winter.
Happy holidays,
Adam
Old 12-07-2009, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avant4Adam,
I agree with you. These wipers on the A4 are terrible when they freeze. We are now having snow and I cannot find after market winter blades to replace the poorly designed OTM. This is not progress. I was hoping thta Bosch would have an adapter or such so the I could just install new wiper blades this winter. What does AOA think about this poor engineering; it becomes a real safety issue in snowy, freezing weather.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Avant4Adam
Did you let someone from Florida make the decision to pick these blades? Did you give bonus points for the channel on top that fills with water or slush and then freezes the entire arm into a useless stick scraping ineffectively across the glass? If that was your plan, you nailed it. Did you also carefully design the new wiper arm connector that *nobody* has any winter style blades for? I especially like that part. That's genius. So, thanks again for all the careful engineering that clearly went into the wipers on my car, I really appreciate it up here in New England Winter.
Happy holidays,
Adam
Are they worse than your 07?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's the %@# clown that decided that it was a great idea to put the wipers so low? You can't raise them to remove the snow / ice from under them (unless you put them in service mode which you won't do if they are frozen in ice)
Old 12-07-2009, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Are they worse than your 07?
Yes. On the 07 you can put whatever the f@ck blade you want on it. SOL on the 09+.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mart242
Who's the %@# clown that decided that it was a great idea to put the wipers so low? You can't raise them to remove the snow / ice from under them (unless you put them in service mode which you won't do if they are frozen in ice)
Yes, that's another genius move. The whole arm assembly gets nicely encased in a block of ice not unlike Han Solo in carbonite.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Avant4Adam
Yes, that's another genius move. The whole arm assembly gets nicely encased in a block of ice not unlike Han Solo in carbonite.
Let's just say that if I had been aware of little stupid things like that I may have bought something else. Seriously, WTF am I supposed to do after a day of hail when I'm at the office and need to go get the kids @ daycare? Wait until the car gets warm enough and melts all the ice?
Old 12-07-2009, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

well.....my wife's new volvo xc70 has the same design.....you have to put it in service mode to get it out from under the hood. Its truly idiotic, you'd think at least the swedes would get it right??
Old 12-07-2009, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Audi is widely known for sweating the details. So this here is more of an exception rather than rule. As far as the wipers parked down low, I rather have that then be stuck staring at them all day long on the road. The wipers are right in the line of vision on my Lexus. Not real luxurious.
I notice at ski resorts a lot of cars/trucks park with their wipers up in the air. Is this not a legit practice?
Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SFV A4
Audi is widely known for sweating the details. So this here is more of an exception rather than rule. As far as the wipers parked down low, I rather have that then be stuck staring at them all day long on the road. The wipers are right in the line of vision on my Lexus. Not real luxurious.
I notice at ski resorts a lot of cars/trucks park with their wipers up in the air. Is this not a legit practice?
My previous VW had a similar setup with the "service mode". I would throw the wipers in service mode and flip them up before any forecasted ice or snowfall. Although I haven't looked on my Audi, the wipers on my Jetta were basically OEM branded Bosch ICONs. Eventually Bosch started releasing wipers that fit that car, after the exclusive OEM agreement with VW expired.

Quick Reply: Dear Audi: It's Winter again and these wiper blades still suck