TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Traction Control Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traction Control Light

Hello guys! after it rains or washing the car, my traction control will come on after driving for 5minutes, light comes on solid. but if i pull off the road turn the car off for 10 seconds, re-start and take off , it stays off, any ideas? your help would be awesome! thanks!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had a ghost in the machine like this with my previous A4...the ABS light would come on and then I would pull over and restart the car and all was well again. I took it to audi and they gave me some silly excuse that a briefcase or purse was pushing down on the seatbelt tensioner. I'm sure it's nothing more than an electrical glitch. Annoying I know.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

yeah, i dont think that is possible , sounds like they just tried to get rid of you. sad to hear they did that to you. I hate dealerships that dont want to help or work like they are supposed to.
Im wondering if i have a short? cuz it only happens when the car gets wet.
Thanks for your input anyhow.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, they didn't seem like they tried that hard. They did say the ECU threw that code about the seatbelt, but whatever...made now sense. Now that you mention it, the car was parked for awhile where it had gotten cold and there was a lot of dew built up on the car. Maybe it was the moisture.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have the same problem now and again almost when I start the car and put it in gear, or begin moving over a curb or speedbump within 5 or 10 seconds of starting. I'll notice the light is and and just turn the car off and back on even as I'm driving now and it works. It's the least of my problems right now.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

well over the weekend it got worse. turning off the car doesnt fix it anymore and now sometimes have the ABS light on as well. came off the freeway with good speed and went to stop and the abs activated and car had a little bit of a hard time stopping, looks like im just going to have to schedule an appt. let me know if you guys find anything, k
I also checked for any critters or mice chewings on anywires, did not find any and all looks well.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You need to read the code from the ABS module. One of your ABS or ESP sensors is on the way out. Since it first started happening only when wet, I suspect a wheel speed sensor since the 2 ESP acceleration sensors are inside the car.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

cool, thanks haTTfield. that makes a lot of sense, well yesterday i borrowed a code reader and it wouldnt read the codes since the light wasnt on anymore, i even got on the freeway to get the light to come on, i noticed it seemed to come on too when ever i got on the highway. but yesterday it didnt happen. so im waiting for it to happen again. the abs sensor you are talking about is the wheel speed sensor that is at the ring behind each wheel?
Old 09-23-2009, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If I'm not mistaken the dealer can see a history of codes. That's what they did for me (light was not on when I brought it to them either).
Old 09-23-2009, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Make sure the code reader is connecting to the ABS module, not the engine. I think the code should be still be there even if the light is off.

Sorry, I can't tell you where the wheel speed sensor is, when one of mine went out I got my mechanic to replace it since it was winter...

Quick Reply: Traction Control Light