Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

how do we remove the c-pillar lower trim under the small window?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how do we remove the c-pillar lower trim under the small window?

I need to remove it in order to fix some rust under but I don't know how to remove it, someone can tell me how it is fixed to the car?
Old 08-22-2009, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need to remove the rear window parcel shelf which means that you have to remove the rear seat back first.

The rear seat back is accessed by removing the seat botton (two large Phillips screws at the front of the seat bottom). With the seat bottom out, you need to remove the screws/bolts holding the bottom of the seat back to the car. Then you need to remove the head rests (held in by spring clips - don't lose the clips).

Then go to the trunk and peal down the carpet covering the bulkhead at the back of the rear seat. You need to remove the four plastic headrest pin receivers. They are the last thing holding the seat back in the car. With those out, you can remove the seat back and then the parcel shelf.

The C pillar trim should be accessible at that point.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

oh damn, reading your instructions I figured that I didn't explained myself correctly. The trim I want to remove is outside the car, made of metal (painted) and is just between the lower portion of the car and the C-pillar. It starts at the rear end of the small window and goes to the backglass. It is about 3cm high and 20cm long and joins the backglass. I don't know if this way you can figure which part I am speaking of. I am missing words in my far from perfect English to tell exactly what is the part. I may take a picture if it helps.

Anyway all is not lost, I didn't found how to remove the backrest of the rear seat last winter when I would have liked to remove it. Now I know how, Thanks!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Well, no you didn't explain it was exterior. However, as it turns out, you will need

to remove the interior C pillar trim to remove the exterior trim piece (irony, don't you just love it).

See image for hints. (Item 3 - expanding nut (probably plastic and maybe no. 18, a rivet are likely involved).
Attached Thumbnails how do we remove the c-pillar lower trim under the small window?-small-window-trim-details.jpg  
Old 08-22-2009, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

That makes sense, in fact I think I saw a procedure in the Bentley involving a rivet to be drilled and I was not able to find the #3 parts that are listed in KATE

At least you didn't had to write another lenghty procedure!

I will try that soon, enough body work for today on the #2 Jetta Trophy, the S4 will have to wait.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

finaly, interior C-pillar trim removed and C-pillar window removed. I hate so much riveted parts on cars.

So far not able to remove the exterior metal trim, it is placed so weirdly you cannot see behind it to figure out how it hold there. Maybe I need to remove the backglass? (which will not happen!)

I may simply fix the rust as I can see it and hope to have reached the end of it at this location.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was able to remove the trim! It is held in place by 2 small pins welded to it that both fit in the body by expanding nuts. I pulled gently (well pried with a plastic tool made for removal of trims) from the end at the backglass and it pop'd out quite easily
The following users liked this post:
Del Pouwels (12-13-2020)