A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Audio upgrade A6: best aftermarket solution?

Old 08-08-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio upgrade A6: best aftermarket solution?

I am buying a 2010 A6 next week, unfortunetly you cannot add the upgraded Bose Audio to the Special Edition package of this car. So i'm getting the stock audio which sounded mediocre.

What is the best way to do an aftermarket audio upgrade? I would like to retain the MMI/head unit etc as this is core to the car's operation.

Will you achieve much improvement if an audio shop adds a subwoofer and swaps in better speakers? Is a new amp recommended? Can you add all of this on to the existing head unit?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What do you mean by "special edition?"
Old 08-08-2009, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by LucFuture
What do you mean by "special edition?"
Special Edition is new for 2010. Much lower price point to incorporate a lot of the stuff from the Prestige trim + S-line option (ex S-line exterior, better tires/wheel, rear camera, sport suspension, push start, aluminum brushes interior instead of wood etc..). You basically save $7000 but unfortunetly you can't add Bose or Nav to it
Old 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss_blake
I am buying a 2010 A6 next week, unfortunetly you cannot add the upgraded Bose Audio to the Special Edition package of this car. So i'm getting the stock audio which sounded mediocre.

What is the best way to do an aftermarket audio upgrade? I would like to retain the MMI/head unit etc as this is core to the car's operation.

Will you achieve much improvement if an audio shop adds a subwoofer and swaps in better speakers? Is a new amp recommended? Can you add all of this on to the existing head unit?
I have an 05 a6 that came with the bose stereo. I wasn't really impressed with the stock bose system so I had aftermarket speakers, sub, and amplifier installed. I have hertz speakers, audison amp, and jl audio sub. My new system sounds amazing. I highly recommend it. If you want any more info just let me know.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by ss_blake
You basically save $7000 but unfortunetly you can't add Bose or Nav to it
I guess you have to give up something for $7,000. I am sure that you can find something for less than $7,000.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ljaudi
I have an 05 a6 that came with the bose stereo. I wasn't really impressed with the stock bose system so I had aftermarket speakers, sub, and amplifier installed. I have hertz speakers, audison amp, and jl audio sub. My new system sounds amazing. I highly recommend it. If you want any more info just let me know.
You aren't impressed with the stock Bose??? I thought the Harmon Kardon in my range was good until I heard this one. It literally is loud enough (with the windows down) to hurt your ears and seems pretty crisp to me. Best bose I've heard. They sound like **** in the caddilacs and nissans though.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bose system is ok, but in my experience bose speakers tend to degrade in quality over time while high end speakers usually get better the more they are used. Don't get me wrong, the bose can definitely sound good, but I enjoy my custom system so much more than the bose. Have you heard the Bang & Olufsen system that is in the A8/S8 and the A5/S5. I've never had the chance to hear this system and have always wondered how it compares to the bose system. Anyone know?
Old 08-19-2009, 06:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The bose system is ok, but in my experience bose speakers tend to degrade in quality over time while high end speakers usually get better the more they are used. Don't get me wrong, the bose can definitely sound good, but I enjoy my custom system so much more than the bose. Have you heard the Bang & Olufsen system that is in the A8/S8 and the A5/S5. I've never had the chance to hear this system and have always wondered how it compares to the bose system. Anyone know?
I recently drove a '09 Q7 with a Bang and Olufsen system, and it's a step above the Bose. It's not head and shoulders above the Bose, but it's just cleaner sounding. I also recently drove an '09 A4 that had the stock stereo system, and that was a POS.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would like to know all the details ljaudi. I recently purchased an 06 A6 with the Bose system and I'm not impressed. It sounds alright in surround mode but its nothing compared to my previous vehicles aftermarket JL Audio system. I'm very curious as to what lengths I must go through to seamlessly do this on my A6. Can you give me the run down?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by r1racer
You aren't impressed with the stock Bose??? I thought the Harmon Kardon in my range was good until I heard this one. It literally is loud enough (with the windows down) to hurt your ears and seems pretty crisp to me. Best bose I've heard. They sound like **** in the caddilacs and nissans though.
I agree, my 08' Range Rover Sport has a Harmon Kardon system and my Audi Bose system blows it out the water!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audio upgrade A6: best aftermarket solution?