A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrating THUNK/JERK in tranny, for 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrating THUNK/JERK in tranny, for 2 years

Under slow acceleration, think going down a driveway, then up a street at slow speed startup, there is a thunk/jerk in the tranny into 2nd gear. This happens more often on slopes, like referenced above. Our drive goes down toward the street slightly, then the street slopes up slightly (not a steep incline). Noticed recently that this is now happening in reverse too.

We've had the A8L ('06) in for service on this problem 5 times. They said they did a software update, but could NOT repeat the problem at the dealership.

The tranny goes fine into all gears, is not stuttering, no fluids, no smoke, no lights...just this jerking feeling.

So question is this: when I had some issues with my first '99 Porsche, and the dealer could not resolve, THEY contacted their District Svc Mgr who then intervened. With Audi, it seems like they want to stand in the way of that process.

So what is the process? Is there a DSM assigned to region dealerships? And if so, is the only way there through the service advisor/manager?

We've had enough of this problem that we're ready to get rid of the Audi, and probably not buy another one. Otherwise service is fine and they do a great job, and yes, it's a great car. But damn, if they can't resolve this, what can you do? The car IS driveable, so no lemon issues here, just an annoyance, but a big one.

If there is a known TSB, would love to have it in pdf form.

Please email me if you prefer: eric@bumperplugs.com

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone? Got to be someone else out there experiencing this....

Just got off phone with AUDIUSA to try to get some answers....nothing yet.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Same issue. I had it replaced.

I had the same jerk into 2 or 3, can't remember. I had 3 different dealerships look into it. Being told I had the latest spec fluid and software(which wasn't the case, look for TSB concerning the trans.). I had the old spec fluid and old software. Liars I tell you...

I have an extended warranty, and one Audi dealership here in FL "certified" the car as being to manuf. specs. I drove 3 different A8s (old and new) with the serv. manager, to show me how a car retailing at 80 grand can leave the factory with a problem like that. NONE had the issue

After 6 months of back and forth, I finally had enough documentation and perseverence to have them replace the transmission. A bill of 9 thousand!!! I was also told by another dealership who was going to perform the work in the first place that there was no need to replace it. they said the reason for the jerk was a valve body inside the trans. being defective.

From personal experience dealerships tend to be unable to duplicate problems. Take a test drive with them after you learn exactly when the problem you are trying to duplicate happens and under what conditions. Good luck to you...
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Drove it with them yesterday. They indicated regionals were in town and all went for a drive the day before, no problem.

I drove it (late in the day) w/tech. Would not replicate. Damn.

Seems to do this on an upward slope, so we found hills and tried, no luck.

Left it overnight, they were finally able to get it to do it this morning, but it did not record much on the tester. They are going at it again tomorrow.

Will pass this along (valve) to see if I get anywhere. AudiUSA has opened a ticket on it, so I'm hoping they do SOMETHING this fourth time.

Fluid is up to spec and software is current.

Really appreciate the response. Will post results in a few days, if we get anywhere. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

sounds like a TC problem to me
Old 07-08-2009, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

TC, as in traction control?

There's no slippage, it's a hard mechanical clunk/jerk from 1st to 2nd, then goes away. No real problems otherwise.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

torque converter

a bad TC will cause a "thump" between gears and sometimes slippage
Old 07-09-2009, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I did discuss torque converter with the tech the other day, and he mentioned it would be less likely as this is only from first to second, never any other gears. I'm hopeful the info above, and whatever they garner from their reporting yesterday and today will prove out something....we've waited two years for resolution.

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Yeah, I've got a thunk/clunk at low speeds from 3rd to 2nd, but on level grades. Generally get it in slow traffic situations, but can sometimes induce the clunk at speeds below 40mph by quickly tapping the accelerator and backing off the pedal. Don't experience any slippage or burning smell. The car's an early '08 and have had this issue since the beginning. Very annoying. Dealer says they experience it in other A8s on the line also, but my car checks to factory spec. Never had this issue with my '06 A8.

Also had the same problem with an '98 A6, but on that one it felt like you were rear-ended. ZF trannys, blahhhh!
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Update 7-10-09

Dealer finally experienced it ONE time this week. All they've done is verify fluids and software.

The real issue for me is this: I know this has to be a mechanical or physical issue - it's not fluid, it's not tires, etc. Yet AudiUSA, in their infinite wisdom, gives ZERO direction to the dealer to address the problem!

If AudiUSA would dig deep, they'd likely find other reports of this somewhere on the globe. Or at least they would direct the dealer to drop the tranny, open the case, and have a look, take pictures, or SOMETHING!

I'm pissed now. They want to keep it through the weekend....I think not. Five days, no repair, no fix, no action. Not dealers fault - it's AudiUSA, and their tech line.

Love the A8L, after 20 yrs of Mercedes, it was a really nice one. But if this is the action (or lack thereof) that AudiUSA directs to resolve this aggravation, it will likely be our last Audi. Damn.

Quick Reply: Frustrating THUNK/JERK in tranny, for 2 years