A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Seafoam Warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam Warning

Facing my first oil change as a new Audi owner, I researched Seafoam because I hear so many people add it before a change. After reading countless posts, the consensus I found is that SF is a bad idea as it thins the oil - not a good idea.

No one was able to offer any proof of either the benefits or the dangers of using this stuff. So....I decided to perform a simple, non-scientific test with a bottle of Mobil-1 0W-40 and a bottle of Seafoam.

First, I poured exactly one capful of the oil in a 12oz. cup. The consistency (viscosity) of the oil only was relatively thick. When picking up the cup and swirling the oil, a fair amount of the oil would remain on the sides of the cup and slowly "drain" back to the bottom of the cup. It was obvious the oil had a thickness to it when moving the fluid around.

Next, I poured exactly two capfuls of Seafoam into the cup and mixed it with the oil. I mixed the concoction with a straw to ensure it was fully mixed. Immediately the texture, viscosity and feel of the oil changed. Before adding the Seafoam the oil appeared thick, once the Seafoam was added the consistency changed to quite watery. Rubbing the mixture between my fingers I did not feel any lubrication.

I could clearly see the oil had thinned remarkably - when spinning it around in the cup it looked like a cup of water - no "thickness" one normally sees with oil. I dipped a finger into the oil/Seafoam and it literally ran right off my finger tip. I dipped another finger into the actual oil bottle - the pure oil did not drip or run off of my finger.

Scientific? No, but after this little test there is simply no way I would ever mix Seafoam into my oil. I am quite surprised that so little SF watered and broke down the oil immediately.

Original oil = normal consistency
Oil and Seafoam = very watery consistency

If anyone doubts the results mix the two at home and see for yourselves.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

normally you wouldnt do 2 parts seafoam to 1 part oil......you normally add 8oz or so to your 5liters or so of oil...... more like 1 to 10, or 1 to 20 parts oil
Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by livingitup
normally you wouldnt do 2 parts seafoam to 1 part oil......you normally add 8oz or so to your 5liters or so of oil...... more like 1 to 10, or 1 to 20 parts oil
As stated it wasn't a scientific test - only a means to test the theory that yes, Seafoam does thin our oil. Whether it's 1, 2 or 3 parts, the oil thinning was obvious. The goal was simply to test a theory with available materials in a timely fashion.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes, but isn't that the point to do this before an oil change so you can clear out any deposits/gunk that is in the system? I've been an avid SF user for years and my car runs in tip top shape. I say it's harmless. Kinda like eating lots of fiber.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by emulsion
yes, but isn't that the point to do this before an oil change so you can clear out any deposits/gunk that is in the system? I've been an avid SF user for years and my car runs in tip top shape. I say it's harmless. Kinda like eating lots of fiber.
Yes it is the point to thin the oil, thin the sludge and then change the oil. Too many people seem to think you can pour this stuff in, drive forever and then maybe change the oil. From what I saw today, I wouldn't drive more than a few miles and at a low RPM. I don't care how many parts to what - it significantly thins the oil. Sure, maybe it helps clean the engine but based on the thinning of the oil and seeing it with my own eyes it deserves a caveat.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

and yes, your caveat is enlightening, thx for the test and well noted...
Old 06-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Seriously? You think your little experiment proves anything at all? Your mixture ratio is so far off that of course the oil is diluted. Seafoam is an additive to the oil (not a replacement), you are merely introducing cleaning agents to the oil that are not originally present in oil. The reason why you need to change the oil shortly after adding the SF is because all the buildup that is removed has to go somewhere, which will clog the oil pickup & oil filter if you run it too long before changing the oil. According to your test, you are comparing a car running just oil to a car running a mix of 2 quarts of oil & 3 quarts of SF. How can that prove anything?

You want to test the SF, I recommend you approach the task a little more scientifically. Measure out the exact ratio of oil/SF (5qt:8oz) as it would be in a car, and then test the oil. I guarantee you will not visually be able to tell any difference before & after as long as you stick to the ratio. This also does not take into account the oil's operating temperature, which gets even thinner as it approaches running temp of the car (180* or so) as it is designed to. There are so many factors you are leaving out & dont even have the capacity to measure its ridiculous to even attempt to gather any useful information from this.

In an engine of good condition, SF can extend life by keeping carbon deposits & sludge build up under control.
It keeps the internals clean so pumps, gallies, and bearings can operate smoothly & efficiently.

In an older engine, SF can cause harm by removing carbon deposits & sludge that actually help the engine by plugging worn down areas. Cleaning out the buildup in these cases can actually cause the engine to begin consuming oil when it previously did not. Not because of the SF, but because the engine is old & the SF did exactly as it was designed to do. You cannot trust product reviews from everyday people, because to give a review does not require a degree in engineering or to be a mechanic.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So you're saying that we shouldn't start using SF as a replacement for oil?
Old 12-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice summary-- especially on the old engines-- thnx
Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tshelly15
So you're saying that we shouldn't start using SF as a replacement for oil?
lol.