Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

allroad Air Suspension Pump , Fuse or Relay or??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default allroad Air Suspension Pump , Fuse or Relay or??

I have a 2001 allroad, 110,000 miles with new front air bags. Recently, after the car is shut off, the air pump began to violently vibrate, sounding like it had broken a shaft or was horribly out of balance. I ordered a replacement pump from Arnott Industries, and have just finished the install. I am not getting any power to the pump. I have verified the pump works by connecting it directly to a battery, and pumping up the suspension. The car rises to level 1, however when I try to raise it to level 2, the car does not seem to respond, even though the pump is on (bypassed). When the suspension light goes solid on the dashboard, the pump begins to shake violently. (just like before I replaced the pump :-( I am assumming the controller has shut off, and the pump is pumping to a closed control valve which has resulted in the shaking.
The car is level, appears normal, and is not leaking down overnight.
Is there a fuse or relay that the pump motor is protected by? Where is it? I have looked everywhere that I can think of. There are no blown fuses in the fuse panel by the driver door.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:18 AM

Default allroad suspension pump fuse

Further information. The violent shaking of the air pump seems to happen when the pressure tank is completely full. I am guessing the original failure is related to the system not turning off the pump when full pressure in the pressure tank is acheived. When I bypass the control module, and let the pump cycle until it begins to load up under back pressure, it begins the violent shaking shorly after you hear the pump begin to load up (reduce rpm). Is there a fuse in the control module for the pump?
Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by allroadSST
Further information. The violent shaking of the air pump seems to happen when the pressure tank is completely full. I am guessing the original failure is related to the system not turning off the pump when full pressure in the pressure tank is acheived. When I bypass the control module, and let the pump cycle until it begins to load up under back pressure, it begins the violent shaking shorly after you hear the pump begin to load up (reduce rpm). Is there a fuse in the control module for the pump?
No fuse in control module, I had the control module apart before, nothing but a circuit board. I have never had a problem with the air suspension, but I would think there are pressure control valves, and probably a couple other things that could cause your problems.

A bentley manual, and vag scan of level control system(block 34 iirc) to see what codes are listed would be a good place to start.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My toughts:
Level Control Pressure Sensor -G291- could be faulty.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I did have similar problem. The pump kept running, overheated and still kept running until it blew up. I changed the pump and it still did it but I did not let it go to the blow up stage. It turn out there is a relay near the front fuse panel, the contacts in it were getting sticky. I changed the relay and it helped a lot. I kept on monitoring the system pressure and behaviour of the valve module, I noticed some odd reaction, I changed the valve block for another used unit and the odd behavior went away. It looked liked the 5th valve was not closing corretly. Since then, the car is perfect. The relay is standard and pretty cheap.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2062206
Old 04-27-2009, 05:10 PM

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2062206

The above thread sounds exactly like the same issue. I'll try a new relay.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Let me know if it makes a difference, I am curious!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Just got the car back from the dealer. After lots of investigation and 1.5hrs shop rate, it turns out there is a 40 amp fuse under the hood behind a relay box The fuse protects the compressor motor. It took a few calls with Audi dealer tech support for the mechanic to find the fuse. Apparently when the old compressor prssure switch failed, and the pump ran without kicking off due to over temp, the fuse blew???
Everything is working well now. Time for a new Audi. I think a 2007 A6 Avant with 3.2L and Premium package.

SST
Old 05-02-2009, 03:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I now remember that the fuse blew up a week or sa before I changed the relay.

Quick Reply: allroad Air Suspension Pump , Fuse or Relay or??