Guys, don't make too much over TB part numbers. Remember that "any" 12V throttle body...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:37 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guys, don't make too much over TB part numbers. Remember that "any" 12V throttle body...

will fit "any" 12V car. The people that have automatic transmissions will need to stick with throttle bodies coming from donor cars with automatic transmissions. But the manual transmission cars readily accept manual or automatic transmission throttle bodies.

Automatic transmission TB's are easy to spot even when mounted in a car. They have a small micro-switch mounted to them via 2 pan head phillips screws with a 4.25" long black lead wire coming out of the switch that is terminated with a bright green male harness plug. This switch is used for activating kick-down/passing gear feature in cars equipped with automatic transmissions. The manual transmission throttle bodies wont have the switch/harness assembly and their cast stand-off studs to mount it won't be drilled/tapped to mount or accept one. Additionally their cable pulleys wont have the "tang" integrated into them that contacts the micro switch that engages the kick-down/passing gear lever on the switch.

And while it's nice to know the "S" series throttle bodies may have a distinguishing part number I've always felt it a safer bet to rely on the visual inspection to confirm larger primary bore/thinner wall between venturis. And trying to confirm any TB's part number when it's installed on a car is next to impossible without a flex-light and mirror. And even then it cannot always be accomplished.

When I'm shopping TB's in a junk yard I pay close attention to the overall shape of the car that has a TB I'm considering. I want "later model" TB's from cars that were well-maintained and cared for in their life before meeting the untimely end that sent them to the bone yard. I look for late model & low mileage. These throttle bodies are virtually bullet-proof, hearty and robust units featuring needle roller bearings at all 4 corners where butterfly shafts come thru the bodies. Pay careful attention that any throttle body you're considering fully returns to it's built-in stop "on it's own" after cranking it wide open by hand. Also inspect that the cable pulleys are not cracked, broken and not bent in ANY direction when rotated by hand thru their entire travel from idle to WOT (wide open throttle).

If you have an early 12V (1993-early 1994) try to find a throttle body from a 1994.5 or later 12V donor car. Don't be afraid of C-chassis (Audi 100 or A6) TB's as they work too. An early throttle body will have a smaller metal or plastic cable pulley that uses small stainless clips to insure the throttle cable remains in the pulley groove. Those clips are no longer avaiable ANYWHERE other than a salvage yard, and only then if you're VERY lucky and get there first!

Try to avoid TB's that have been removed from cars and lying out or in the open for years, rained on, snowed on etc. They'll be HEAVILY corroded, oxidized and appear to have crusty barnacle-like crustaceans (feathery/flower-like growths) throughout their outer surfaces.

And No one should have to pay more than $100 for a used throttle body. Even the "S" TB can be had for less as we're the ONLY people on earth that know it's benefit. The junkyards don't know this and NO ONE should "spill the beans" about why they specifically want an A6 Avant TB when the junkyard guy is telling you that the A4 or 90Q TB will work just as well. Lie to him! Tell him AYTHING except the truth or any other story that would attach more value to it. Just tell him you own an A6 Avant, that you're "picky" and you want the part numbers to match what came on the car. He may want to still charge you more but at least he won't get on the radio and broadcast to every salvage yard owner in the country that the A6 Avant TB adds HP and people will pay triple/quadruple for them!! Those guys have a network, connected by radio that can drive the prices of these things up overnight from coast-to-coast if word gets out. And they're NOT afraid to use it!
Old 02-08-2008, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default OT question...

Is the "phone cord fix" only applicable if you have the stock plenum? I thought I would go straight to the source.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:59 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes as the aftermarket hose setups that eliminate the plenum have no gasket in which...

to slip the phone cord into making for a tighter fit.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

just making sure
Old 02-08-2008, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are you tired of the "is this an S" questions?

Here's a link to what appears to be an "S" for sale on eBay for $75 shipped. The definitive hoto is alittle blurry, but it says it came from an A6 Avant.<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/THROTTLE-BODY-AUDI-A4-A6-1995-96-97-98_W0QQitemZ170184638760">click me</a></li></ul>
Old 02-08-2008, 06:18 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't believe it is but can't find where it says it "came from an A6"...

rather only that it will fit an A4/A6 95 thru 98. And as has already been said; "any 12V throttle body will fit "any" 12 V car."

**Nevermind, I found the info. But I'd still want to see a cleaner photo for confirmation. That photo is blurry and bitmapped but that wall between primary/secondary still appears a little "thick-ish."
Old 02-08-2008, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's from a 97 A6 avant, so there's a good chance...

It KIND OF looks like it from the pic but you really can't tell. Maybe ask the seller for a better pic.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default BTW, it's not for me. I'm just trying to help.

I'm not inclined to spend another $300+ for an "S" when I already have a perfectly good non-S XTB.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default caption under picture says items may vary from picture..

its a bait and switch