A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

RS4 rear sway installed on FWD; impressions inside (long).....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 rear sway installed on FWD; impressions inside (long).....

Ok, so there are numerous threads on AW regarding the RS4 rear sway bar on cars w/ Quattro. But what about the *lowly* FWD cars?

I can only speak for myself, but based on my experience, I feel that this mod should be mandatory. Furthermore, it should be the very first mod you do. You can't fully appreciate what this car is capable of until you have one of these puppies installed.

For just under $140 shipped, it can't be beat. It makes the car more stable & safer. If you have a wife & kiddo like me, that's very cheap insurance for a little more peace of mind. Safety is great & all, but I'll be honest. I just bought it to have a little more fun.

So what exactly does it do for the FWD you ask? Here's what I've noticed:

1) Adds a lot more stability.
My car feels like the whole frame has been reinforced. The driving is just down right SOLID all the way around; the sloppiness/roll in turns has been significantly reduced. I expected the car to be quite a bit stiffer/harsh, but much to my surprise it doesn't feel that way at all. Actually, the ride feels smoother & more stable now.

2) (a) Better traction to the front tires. That's right, I said front. I was really fed up with my ESP warning light flashing on when I would try to make a respectable quick launch from a stand still. You try to have a little fun from a stop light, only to be cut short by ESP. It's kind of an automotive **** block, if you will. With 18" sport tires costing over $200 each you tend to feel a sense of entitlement when it comes to traction; especially upon takeoff. I'm happy to report that this problem is almost non-existent now (until I wear the tread down at least). It helps to take more advantage of the turbo's power now too. The boost feels like it lasts longer. Obviously it has no effect on the turbo at all, but more of that power gets laid down to the pavement.

(b) Improved braking. I can't say that it'll stop any faster, but the braking feels more controlled/stable.

3) Reduces road vibration & noise picked up by rear wheels over stock sway bar. My initial drive was down a winding street that I drive to work on everyday. The road has numerous small bumps that just really annoyed me more than anything. However it still beats driving in rush hour traffic on Dallas' highways. But I digress. Everytime I'd drive over any small bumps, there was always a slight reverberation felt & barely heard for a few milliseconds afterward from the rear wheels. It wasn't anything I couldn't live with before, just a little annoying. Now, the bumps just seem to disappear in comparison. Most people would never notice the sound to begin with, but I'm just super sensitive to the slightest out-of-place sound. I'm just special that way.

Overall, this mod is fantastic on the FWD! I'm having to re-learn how to drive my car to an extent. I no longer have to anticipate the car swinging as wide in curves as I used to. Taking curves on the highways here just seems too dang easy now, so easy that it's almost boring.

I drive the Dallas North Tollway a lot, which has some pretty decent turns in it. At 70 mph, the car would formerly just be getting to the "hey lets slow down a little" stage. Today, I drove it at 80 mph, & it performed flawlessly. I could've probably gone 90 before having the same feeling as I did before at 70, but out of respect for other drivers I refrained. This mod is absolutely great!

Thank you to everyone I've chatted with about this mod prior to having bought/installed it! I wish I would've done this mod a month after I bought the car (1 yr ago)!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nicely done sir

BTW I responses to your question in my post !
Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree, it's a great mod. Makes the car feels less nose heavy. I have one myself, but...

I must question a couple observations you made...

1) How does it make the car safer? It sure is more fun around the corners, but more understeer is inherently safer because you can always correct with a tap of the brake. Whereas oversteer is more difficult to correct. I think you're mistaking peace of mind for fun around the corners

2) How does it improve your acceleration from a stop or help you stop faster? Sway bars have no effect on squat and dive.

But I agree that it's well worth the money ($75 for me). It definitely feels like a different car now.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:15 AM

Default understeer is way more dangerous with AWD imo

having the front end plow sucks. having the tail end kick out a little may be scarey but if you know to stay on the power and have faith (and good tires) way more fun
Old 03-02-2008, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Would you say that it decrease body roll? I know you said it

decreased roll in turns and sloppiness. Is that the same as body roll?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mine was jut installed on Friday (quattro though) and I love the mod

the car feels totally different around turns. but I also had the stock sport susp installed on my non sport so I have some more things causing my changes.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks. Replied back to your post.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers

Very great mod indeed!

1. I have better control of the car period, which gives me ample peace of mind. But yes, it is fun in the corners too!
2. Has no noticeable effect on stopping time, just more controlled stopping (back end doesn't get squirrely as it did before). Take off is remarkebly better due to better grip on front tires. Basically the front of the car doesn't have to compensate for the rear's flexing anymore. As was mentioned in another post recently (forgot who posted it), sway bars have an effect on the opposite end of the car's suspension too. It was a very good/imformative post, btw.

$75 would've definitely sweetened the deal, but still a worthy mod at my cost.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Same thing in my book.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow, you went all out then!

Must be a major difference.

Quick Reply: RS4 rear sway installed on FWD; impressions inside (long).....