European single-side parking lights-- how to get/create them?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default European single-side parking lights-- how to get/create them?

I'm talking about the low wattage single-side parking lights for Europe activated by leaving the turn signal stalk in the left or right position. Is there a way to get or create this feature in our US spec V8s, whether with Euro headlights or stock DOT headlights?

I presume that real wiring is needed.

Anyone BTDT?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: European single-side parking lights-- how to get/create them?

Let me get this straight..

The side markers that are in front of the doors (currently a turn signal indicatior). Those right?

You want to turn those into a "parking" as in always on light AND retain turn signal functionailty? (or drop turn signal and only be "on")?

One's pretty easy, the other would require a different bulb and socket.. and of course wiring.

-Scott
Old 03-12-2008, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default not the side markers. maybe I mean the "city lights" (?)

---the feature of which I speak is nearly universal in European cars, at least in Europe.

Even US model Mercedes have had this capability for 10+ years.

In my Euro-spec e28, (this was >10 years ago) I believe it was the front city light (the inner headlamp) and a low wattage bulb somewhere in back (one that shone red, not amber).

Essentially what I want is similar to the parking lights we have in the US, but just on one half of the car, and not (necessarily) using the turn signals.

The bulbs of which I speak are in the headlights and in the taillights, not the side markers in front of the doors, and not necessarily in the turn signals. I would guess that Euro headlights would have this function-- it is just a matter of proper wiring.

The bulb that functions as the parking light is not the same as the one that functions as the turn signal.

You leave your turn signal stalk in the "left" or "right" position and a low wattage light - both front and rear, on that side of the car- stays illuminated. It is to mark your car if you're parked on a typically narrow and/or winding European street.

With a VAG-COM I have programmed my 2006 A4 to function like this, but I'd assume it would require wiring in my old V8. In the A4, the front "parking" light is the turn signal light, and in the rear, it is the "running" light that acts as the "parking" light.

I'm wondering if anyone has done it, and if so, what's the wiring diagram look like?

Can any Euro-posters chime in?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: not the side markers. maybe I mean the "city lights" (?)

The US DOT lights have no provisions for "city lights"; However the Euro E-Code lights do have a city light built into the headlight.

Along with that there is a vacuum operated switch that runs the headlight beam positioning motors on the E-Code lights so you can raise and lower the beam (as well as high and low) from inside the car. Very Cool feature..

If you get "Euros", try and get the switch and it's tubing too..

-Scott
Old 03-12-2008, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not sure how to wire that on an Audi but I do know exactly what your talking about

I remember my dad used to drive Porsche 914's. (Back in the day) Anyway on his you could turn on the park lights with the regular switch but then (If I recall) simply flick the turn signal switch either left or right and just that side would stay on. On those cars the turn signal and park light used the same bulb I believe.

Your question jogs my memory of those cars. I remember because we were watching 4th of july fireworks with the top off and me and my friends were sitting on the roll bar with our legs hanging inside the car listening the the stereo while parents were off in lawn chairs. I remember my dad walking back to the car and doing that little deal with the park lights since the car was parked in the street to ensure our saftey. He turned on the driver side lights since that was the side to the street.

Ok, sorry for this useless nerdy long story. ha ha

R
Old 06-10-2009, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hi there I think it's only possible when you say to your 09 or 16 that it is a european car but possible other US functions doesn't work anymore just give it a try. Here we are trying to recode to US or Canadian because we like your features! Strange world!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by V8QinNJ
Let me get this straight..

The side markers that are in front of the doors (currently a turn signal indicatior). Those right?

You want to turn those into a "parking" as in always on light AND retain turn signal functionailty? (or drop turn signal and only be "on")?

One's pretty easy, the other would require a different bulb and socket.. and of course wiring.

-Scott
I was wondering how you would make the side marker stay on and retain the turn signal.
How would I Go about doing that.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2009, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Currently the side marker light is a single filament bulb (194A) IIRC. you'd need to change the socket into a dual filament bulb that you woudl keep the existing wiring as a side marker, and the "high" filament as the signal run the hot side of the down to the front turn signal so it gets it power from the same as the turn signal and you're all set.

something like this (in Amber, or Clear of course):

http://www.customled.com/products/du...onet_bulbs.htm
Old 12-23-2009, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truck bodies now are using push in led marker lights in red and yellow (using a 1/2" hole to mount). You could mount these inside your existing light housing. A simple left/right 3 way switch wired to the battery.

If you wanted to use the stem on the column without modifiying the lights, you could wire in a hot lead from the battery into the stem switch (w/10amp fuse). Split the output from the switch sending 1 power lead to the intermittent circuit (flasher) via a relay that gets turned off with the ignition switch in the off position and the other power lead directly to the bulb. Wire in a rectifier (diode) behind the splice to the pos. side of the bulb and on the factory input lead to the stem switch so not to allow power to enter the vehicles "run" circuit.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

my 1990 v8 quattro has that on it from the factory . I thought they all had that ??? guess I was wrong. do all the v8s have the rear fog lights as well mine has them ??