White stuff found in engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default White stuff found in engine oil

In my 87 audi 5000s, some white stuff was found in the engine oil sometime ago. Someone told me that was because coolant entering the engine oil and had to change the head gasket. I did change the head gasket just a week ago. But now the white stuff comes back again. Do anyone know why and where is the possible leaking? Thanks a lot!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do you see it at?

Under the oil cap perhaps? What is the climate like where you are? In the midwest is was normal for me to see that "froth" during the winter months. Now, I noticed it more with cars that had the baffle at the top of the valve cover (MG engine code has one).

A headgasket is a big job and should only be RR'ed when the proper steps have been taken to diagnose that its truly bad.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree if it was just on the oil filler cap it's just cold weather related froth.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Agree if it was just on the oil filler cap it's just cold weather related froth.

Not just on the oil filler cap. The white stuff (lots) is also found on the oil dip stick. I is in Vancouver Island. The weather is very mild now (around 50). I had never had that white stuff before even in winter time. Now mild weather, lots white stuff. I can also see the oil looks like waterish.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Yeah your looking at a head gasket job then...........

drain the oil to be sure. If you see fresh coolant come out that's a dead give away. You could also pull the spark plugs and check them and the tops of the pistons for coolant too. Any smoke out the exhaust?
Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Alright, one question

When you replaced the headgasket did you replace the headbolts too? They are torque to yield and are to only be used ONCE. If you did not replace them when replacing the headgasket this sort of issue could happen.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Alright, one question

No, I did not replace the headbolts. The factory manual says no need to replace the headbolts. However, I did torque the headbolts to the required torgue using the procedure specified in the factory manual. After I replace the head gasket, the white stuff comes back so quick, only one week. At that time I did not dry a lot. I am wondering if other spots can leak. I did examine the engine head when it was off the engine and could not see any cracks.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 AM

Default Re: Yeah your looking at a head gasket job then...........

Good idea. I will drain the oil and pull the spark plugs to check if can see any coolant there. However, right now I can't see the coolant level drops significantly. And no smoke out the exhaust.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default What engine code do you have?

I dont know of any Audi head bolts that are reusable, so this really could be a major problem, especially if the head gasket is new.

My warning lights went off when I heard the stock ones were reused.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:06 PM

My engine code is KZ.

Quick Reply: White stuff found in engine oil