Old 07-25-2016, 03:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

My Brake pedal Hard as a rock, then normal.

Old 09-14-2007, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Brake pedal Hard as a rock, then normal.

On V8 #2, my brake pedal went hard the other night.
I think my nitro bomb is out, the abs light has been on for a while now. I leave the ABS button off.

This was the first time the pedal went hard, usually soft, but my steering rack is leaking like a siv (burbbling under the floor board). That is when the pedal went hard.

I have a new bomb and haven't put it in yet. I want to fix the rack, are they interrelated symptoms?

Oh, and my wife, the driver of V8 #1 wants a divorce.

Hows that for car troubles?

Rein
Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't think the ABS light on has anything to do with the hard....

...brake pedal.
How's the hydro fluid level? You'r level is prolly low..but is the resivour dry?

& sorry too hear about the divorce...better yet let her drive V8 #2 for a while ;->
Old 09-14-2007, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: My Brake pedal Hard as a rock, then normal.

Did you check the oil level in the hydraulic reservoir? Not the brake fluid reservoir, but the one that feeds the pump to give you power steering and power brakes.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I don't think the ABS light on has anything to do with the hard....

Yeah, the reservoir is being affected by the leaking rack, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't the abs unit.

Thank you,

Rein
P.S. V8 #1 will probably creep up on her, then she'll realize not only did she loose her husband, she lost her personal mechanic.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well sounds like the seals are blown in the rack if oil is leaking out the bellows(rack) boot. Racks are cheap enough.
R&R is....OK, I mean I've done racks on non turbo 5kq's, turbo Q's, but by far the biggest PITA was my ol 93 V8 Green Monster. No idea why, cause before that rack the biggest PITA was my ol 90 200tqa. cause of all the **** back there...so you would figure that the V8's would be a piece of cake..WRONG.
I even did one without a motor in it, & it was a PITA..may I add ROYAL!!! The racks are o-ring seals, so there is no step..or shoulder to guid the 1st bit of threads on the bolt. It's just a pain.
If you want a how too shoot me a mail & we can discuss it a bit.
But I tell you I'd do 20 the same way, & love every minute of it :-) Gotta be crazy. I know so many V8 listers who own more than one...it sure is an addiction! The V8's are fantastic cars!

But honestley you should R&R the bomb & rack at the same time. Set at least 1 day aside to repair. Use the proper Pentosin 11s, & you should be fine.
To bleed the system you'll need to jack both sides of the front end up & run the car turning the wheel full lock to pass & driver sides mutipull times.

& ehhhhh, emotions of the heart are very complicated. just take a deep breath :-)
Old 09-15-2007, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: My Brake pedal Hard as a rock, then normal.

To cure the pedaql issue change the bom and all should be fine.

To cure the divorce issue... throwing the ex from a cruise ship seems to be the 'in' thing these days. Can't convict without a body, international waters... yadda yadda yadda...

Wish I'd had that advice!
Old 09-17-2007, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, it must be the seal at the top of the rack, because underneath the carpet in the foot well was found a lot of Pentosin. The foam on the carpet was just soaked with it.

I will do the bomb at the same time as the front brake pads, along with the steering rack strut which has no resistance to it.

I'd like the personal advice, e-mail me at cdi@in-tch.com to chat.

Thank you,

Rein