Ok the corvette engine pipe dream disappeared this morning after seeing one on a rack...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 08:13 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok the corvette engine pipe dream disappeared this morning after seeing one on a rack...

too much work to get the structural oil pan integrated into the B4 chassis without a dry sump oil system and that would add another $4k to the project making the LS2/6 Gen IV engine an additional $10k to what I've already spent on the 12V.

So I pulled the trigger on custom one-off Titanium rods just now instead. They'll each weigh 53% less than the stock rods and 35% less than the Carrillo cro-moly H-beam rods I was considering. In a 6 cylinder engine thats the equivalent of removing the weight of more than 3 stock rods from the complete rotating assembly. With the pistons I'm using I'll have the engine reciprocating and rotational weight-equivalent of 2.45 rod/piston assemblies as it exists today. Even less when you consider hollow sodium-filled titanium valves, lightweight lifters, titanium retainers, gun-drilled cams and crank.

And I know some will ask about cost for the Ti rods. Well lets just say they are spendy *****'s. I'm paying $868.12 each for rods, ARP bolts and shipping. Worst part is they'll take 8-12 weeks as they are entirely custom made from scratch to my specs. This puts engine re-assembly off until March at the soonest.

Aluminum rods would have weighed even less and cost 1/4 of titanium but kept me at an "intermittant only" 7k RPM redline which "may" have been fine. But I'd hate to find I missed my 300HP target by 2-300 RPM's. Ti should easily withstand 8.5k RPMs for extended periods... well beyond my 7500 anticipated limits.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all i can say is wow.....

ok, well... maybe a little more. Your outta your mind Mance !!! Thats gonna be one BADAZZ engine when your done.
I finally found a torch heater to borrow (for the unheated garage) and will start my dissassembly of the 2.8 soon. Then i do the P&P on the Heads & IM. Thats gonna be "fun". I still gotta find the perfect way to organize the parts as I take then off the block. Prolly gonnna photo and bag each complete assm as it comes off. Then number it and keep track of it on paper for the re-assm. I'm a computer geek and a newbie shade-tree mechanic so its gotta be a well organized job or no more 2.8 rebuild for Danny-Boy.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Mance, why dont you develope a "real" supercharger for the B4

With all your tech know-how and experience, you could do it. I dont know if anyones non-mod'd engine could stand the change but your new engine definatly could. Or does the whole liability insurance thing come in to play again, like the brake parts topic I read a few months ago?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Which one of you would pay $5000 to SC you B4 90?

Last survey had only 1 person "interested" but not "committed" ;O)
Old 01-03-2005, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

good point... sorry. I forgot the cost involved... hehe
Old 01-03-2005, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Is there really a SC that can be mod'd to fit our heads?

if so, why dont you use it Mance? or is the gain not worth the expense?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I can answer that... he doesnt like how the Turbo'd cars have to cool

down from only a "few" laps on the track. I can totally understand that. I'd hate to leave the track too, just bcuz of my turbo.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not true. Just set the car up with a larger oil cooler and there will be no need for a "cool down".

You think the IMSA and GTO cars had "cool down" pit stops in between laps of flam spitting action.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:49 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default a "real" supercharger isn't hard/difficult but its not where my heart is....

I've spent the last 10 years doing forced induction tho retricted to turbo's. My roots are steeped in normally aspirated cars and since this is likely my last significant "Hoo-rah" I want to spend it doing something for "me."

Besides I've been around here long enough to know that any "super power" engine mod done really really right would never sell enough units to offset its development. There's simply not enough buys with sufficiently deep pockets. Especially when they could get the same power in a new car with warranty financed for 3-4 years at 5% interest. And I'm no stranger to those who say "if you build it I will come" and how that unfolds when its built and those people do not come. And thats for $200-$300 items. Now strap em with a $5k-$6k option and you've blown em completely outta the water. $5-$6k for a car is one thing. That amount for a "mod" for that car is a horse of a different color. And especially on cars that are 8-14 years old and NOT appreciating in value. They are dropping off like flies these days and the cause runs from deer to cars to blown engines. Many will scrap rather than fix.

And the $10k in tooling, setup for something like that would never be offset. I'd have to eat it. Sure I could sell one or two. But I doubt I'd sell more. You dont have to look any further than any other mod I've done to see the inevitability of that outcome. Many have always wanted them and said they would take them. Few have and its directly proportionate to cost. Why ya think my airbox velocity stack & snub mount is my biggest seller and my RSXTB is the smallest? Now multiply that VS/SM cost by 150 or that TB's cost by 6 and see who's hands are still raised. No doubt everyone would be intersted but sadly that will never feed the bulldog.
Old 01-03-2005, 08:53 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default it really IS true. The IMSA cars were $1m cars that got torn down after every race...

yet it can be done but the buy-in and maintenance is cost-prohibitive and deeper/more complex than just a larger oil cooler. Why ya think all forms of endurance racing have fallen away from turbos except factory/high dollar pro rally, ALMS and LeMans. Its too friggin expensive!

Quick Reply: Ok the corvette engine pipe dream disappeared this morning after seeing one on a rack...