Car won't start - after sitting a day in the driveway.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start - after sitting a day in the driveway.

Hi All, someone in the B5 forum suggested i repost in the Chicago forum so here goes:

After last using the car Friday, the car won't start today (Sunday).

When I first turned the key, the motor turned like it was going to start (fuel sounded like it was igniting in the cylinders) I release the key like normal but it doesn't quite start. No biggie, I turned the key again, and this time it sounds like the starter kicks in but no engine turning.. as if the fuel is not getting there. I'm not sure of the technical terms to describe what is happening, but after the initial attempt, it doesn't sound like it will start. The engine never starts firing, even a little

Before i tried starting it, the car sat in the driveway all day, this morning was pretty cold but it thawed out during the day.

This may be useful too:
This happens about once a year, sometimes twice for the 4 years I've owned the car. I have the car towed to the dealership where they'll find nothing wrong with it, (except that it's flooded, from my attempts to start it) but once they fix that it starts right up. The last time this happened I tried letting it sit in the driveway for a day to see if it will just happen to start for me, but it did not and i again had it towed. I know if i keep trying to crank it, it will flood. Thats the only problem the dealership tells me they find, (and never find a root cause for the non start) I would appreciate any insights.

Thank you all,

99.5 Audi A4 2.8Q TIP
Old 12-25-2006, 08:51 PM

disconnect battery, reconnect, try it.......thats all I got
Old 12-26-2006, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Why, do you think it's running an MS OS?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yeah, it's flooded. I went through that 2 weeks ago during the big freeze.

mines a 1.8T but the same results required removal of plugs and injectors and cleaning.

Now I try to drive the car at least twice a day when it's cold. Used to be a garage car 1/2 the time with a longer commute.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

LMAO. Nice hit, Marko.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Also

I had similar problems with a ***** coolant temp sensor in my old B5 A4 (2.8) . It told the ECU that it was colder out than it was and the car flooded itself. There was a stored DTC to follow though. Have you VAG'd it?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Try this next time.

1st, keep the tank full; there won't be any condensation to freeze - really
2nd, despite what the manual says - floor it. If the no-start scenario begins, floor it to open the air input to max. It may reverse the process and un-flood. It's worked for me.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I may try that tonight with my new toy
Old 12-26-2006, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Vag-Com question

No, I haven't getting it "VAG-Com'd". I was just searching through the forums to see what it would take for me to buy the equipment necessary to do this. I have a laptop. What i'm finding for the rest is about $15 on ebay for the cable, and $99 for the software? Does that sound about right?
Old 12-26-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Try this next time.

I will remember that about the maintaining a full tank. I also think the full throttle suggestion would have worked. After i released the key and it didnt start I felt this sinking feeling that I should have kept on the ignition and gave it gas. I have done that before when it sputtered in the past and it started fine. So the condensation is a legitmate problem? This makes sense becuase there was a frost on my car in the morning, which later thawed off and then it was above freezing when i tried starting it....

Quick Reply: Car won't start - after sitting a day in the driveway.