Audi A3 / S3 / RS 3 Discussion forum for the 8L and 8P Audi A3 S3 and RS3
Sponsored by: Audi Online Parts
Old 07-29-2016, 09:34 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A3 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Sound system upgrade for A3 with Concert II... aux input recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound system upgrade for A3 with Concert II... aux input recommendations?

The Concert II is so limited, without an auxiliary input or MP3-CD capability. I'd like to give Audi a good hard kick in the shins for it. Sure, go ahead and get an OEM iPod adapter, and then you give up using a CD changer or satellite radio, plus the lack of song titles is frustrating. What about a CD changer that can play MP3's? Nope. Apparently the Concert II can only accept the OEM CD changer AND it prevents use of Satellite radio. This is ridiculous.

So, I thought, OK--I'll ditch the head unit and go with something after market. There are lots of choices... only, it gets complicated from there. If you want to use your steering wheel controls, there are few compatible units... the compatible PAC adapters I've seen rely on infrared, not hard wired, and the bluetooth control won't work from the steering wheel any longer. Anyway, there are so many mixed reviews about the head units available. They each have their own limited specific combinations of features, so you end up with little choice but to settle on a $2000 unit. Outside my budget.

That led me to think that I'm better off just getting an auxiliary input adapter for the Concert II via the CD changer socket. The PIE X3 is great, as it provides a choice of three input sources, but then I discovered you need to have a CD changer or Satellite tuner installed to use it. Forget that. You could use a splitter, and just be careful never to run two sources at once--eh. So if you go with a single auxiliary input, you need a capable unit to utilize it, which led me to the Drive+Play.

The Harmon Kardon Drive+Play 2 looks like a viable alternative... it's pricey at $399, but at least you've got a great interface to the iPod, auxiliary input for other sources, and USB MP3's. And it's probably easier to integrate satellite radio to the D+P instead of the Concert II (plus you have the option of handheld SAT radio, so you don't have your subscription locked to the car). But of course, if you go with this solution, you really need a good iPod... a Nano just doesn't cut it. The iPod Classic 80Gb is $249. iPod Touch 16Gb is $399. Ridiculous to get the Touch, as the D+P external display is sufficient and the Touch has a poor price/storage ratio. You'd be better off buying two 8Gb USB drives for $170. The D+P indexes the USB drives the same way as the iPod, but without the album art.

In any case, if you keep the head unit, you need either an iPod adapter or an auxiliary input adapter. There are a number of auxiliary input adapter choices: GROM-A-VAG, Denison, BlitzSafe, PIE, DICE, USA Spec... what's the simplest and reasonably priced one for the Concert II?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Sore subject!

I can't believe Audi does not give us a simple aux input jack. Ford has a slick system that can interface with multiple types of mp3 players for goodness sakes.

I've explored this a little, but not in great detail. I have a Zen Micro that I'd simply like to hook up to the Concert II. Track titles are not important to me. I just want to listen to my freaking music. I talked with Dice and was told that their adapters do not work in the 08. Something about a new fiber optic interface. They were not clear about the problem, but were clear about not having a solution for me.

If you figure out a solution please let us know!
Old 11-08-2007, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default As it happens, Audi is going to provide an aux jack:

"Borrowed" from fourtitude.com:

We have it on good word from Audi product planning that standard audio jacks are coming. Basically, with the exception of the remaining B7 production, these are the cars in the Audi lineup that don't have Audi Music Interface applications, and those iPod integration kits that are out there offer limited playlist choices and often deactivation of any CD changer. Fortunately for those buying cars built after week 43, there will be a standard audio input jack. Yes, you will have to navigate your MP3 device, portable satellite radio device, etc. outside of the head unit, but those of us into music will definitely welcome the addition. It's a simple piece of equipment, and we couldn't be happier Audi is adding it to the mix.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:19 PM

Finally! Thanks for the info. Looks like I bought the car a wee bit too soon ;-(
Old 11-08-2007, 06:46 PM

Interesting. Is it going to be a simple swap of the HU?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Nice. Aux input without hijacking CD changer plug. So you're free to install

something else like a Phatbox, if you didn't dish out that huge cost for the CD changer, and still be able to plug in an iPod.

But no MP3 CD? That really bugs me. Average priced HU's come with that--it's defacto standard now. Not providing it on the OEM head unit is just downright arrogant to the customer, given that Audi is a premium car brand.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good news. Hope it's not too expensive????
Old 11-09-2007, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Default All II+ generation radios have an AUX in

Right now it needs to be enabled and an adapter build but it's there (<a href="http://www.navplus.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3547">click</a>). The RNS-E and BNS 5 may also have an AUX in but nobody knows yet how to enable that port. In any case, the new radios are using a new AM/FM antenna system which means even if you already have a Symphony II, the upgrade to a Symphony II+ or Concert II+ may not be the best way to go if you listen frequently to AM/FM radio stations.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Default I just picked up a 2008 A3 that was made during week 45 and . . .

no aux jack. I still love the car.