TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

FYI, new Brake Light Switch installation procedures

Old 02-08-2007, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI, new Brake Light Switch installation procedures

I'm not sure if this was posted but I wanted to make sure anyone switching out their brake switch knows about the new brake light switch install. I already searched the old threads and originally used those instructions and it broke my new switch.

My experience installing my a6 is different than installing it on my TT.

In any case its important to mention that the brake switch is a one time deal. Once it's set you cannot fix it. I had a Audi tech open it to try to fix it but the plastic notch breaks.

Here is the install procedure you should use and this applies to all new switches they have a purple housing:

1) Remove the bottom panel underneath your dashboard (if needed)
2) Push brake pedal down
3) Remove sensor electrical clip
4) Remove brake light switch by turning it 45 degrees to the left and pulling it out
5) Let go of brake pedal
6) Prep the sensor: make sure the plunger is pulled out fully (extended OUT) *warning* Make sure you do not push the plunger in at any time.
7) Here's the new step: Do not depress pedal as far as you can. Leave the pedal in it's normal position and push the brake light switch into the mounting hole.
8) You will hear several "clicks" which is essentially setting up the length of your plunger to the pedal. Turn the brake switch 45 degrees to the right to enable the "setting" for your brake. There is a tiny rotating part that activates the setting on your switch when you rotate it.
9) This is ONE time deal so if you mess up do not pull the plunger out to try again.
10) Install the electrical plug
11) Check brake lights, the lights should come on with very little brake pedal movement. If you need to depress the brake a lot in order for the lights to come on, you have done the "setting" part incorrectly. There's no fix for this, you'll have to get an exchange for a new part if they'll let you.

Overall this is an easy install but can be annoying because of the one time setting deal.

Hope this helps!
Old 02-08-2007, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Expert

And, do NOT overtwist during install. If you twist the switch housing too far, it breaks.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I just replaced mine. This link was a huge help. I was having trouble figuring out how to get the lower dash panel off. The screws for that are under the access panel for the fuses on the side of the dash. The link has diagrams: http://www.justanswer.com/audi/6ra83...switch-20.html