TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Latitudinal and Longitudinal Acceleration sensors observations and notes...

Old 09-28-2006, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latitudinal and Longitudinal Acceleration sensors observations and notes...

This is all in reference to my 2001 225 coupe.

I had ABS/ESP lights coming on intermittantly. Sometimes it would only be the ESP light, sometimes both. They would turn off when the car was restarted. I had friends vag com the car for me numerous times since I don't own a vag com myself. It would never log a DTC so I had no idea what was going on. After months and months, it finally logged a G251 Longitudinal acceleration sensor implausible signal.

So I went to the local dealer, had them look up the part and purchased a new one. I read conflicting posts about the location of the longitudinal sensor versus the latitudinal sensor. I pulled the glove box looked at the sensor there and the part number didn't match so I pulled the lower dash on the driver's side, and the sensor matched so I replaced it thinking it was the longitudinal acceleration sensor.

The car seemed a little better for a few days. Then the ABS/ESP lights came on again. From then on, they would only both light up. I had the codes read many more times and a dtc would never be recorded so I couldn't figure out what it was. Recently I was able to borrow a friends PDA with the shadetree software and cable and kept it in the car for a few days. Fortunately, the problem had been occuring almost every time I drove the car now. When the lights would come on, I'd stop and vag the car and consistantly pulled the same code as before for the longitudinal sensor.

Thinking I got a bad sensor from the dealership, I went to pull it out so I could take it and excange it hopefully under warranty. So I remove the driver's side dash and remove the sensor. As I was removing it, I noticed there were little directional arrows on top indicating (+) and (-). I also noticed the mounted orientation of the sensor pointed these arrows towards the sides of the car instead of front to back. So out of curiosity, I popped off the side dash panel on the passenger side and pulled the sensor out from that side. Sure enough, it was mounted with the arrows pointed front and back. I also noticed that there were 2 part numbers on it. 1j0907651a and 1j1907638b. One on the side I looked at when I first replaced the other sensor which didn't match, then another on the other side which I hadn't looked at, which did match. They are in fact the same part number, same sensor. I don't know why they labeled it with two different ones. So this was actually the longitudinal sensor.

To verify, they were the same, and this one was the one going out, I swapped the sensors, buttoned everything back up, and went for a road test. This time, only the ESP light came on and lo and behold, I threw the G200 lateral acceleration sensor code. So I went back home, switched them back and left the longitudinal sensor out for replacement. Since it can be accessed by the side panel instead of removing the dash, this is the easiest location to replace. Had the other sensor been faulty, I would have left them swapped. So I got a new one, this one only had one part number on it - 1j0907651a - and swapped it in over lunch today. No codes, no lights and my ABS seems to be working properly (before it would start engaging early and inappropriately).

So, in summation, the lateral and longitudinal sensors are the same p/n 1j0907651a, at least in my car and probably most of the earlier ones. I've read they are combined in later models, but have no knowledge of that. If the ESP light stays on with no codes, its most likely the lat sensor, if the ESP and ABS lights come on without logging codes, its most likely the long sensor. Hopefully my trial and error can be helpful to others.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks for the notes. I still have ESP kicking in on left turns way to earlier, after a lat accel

sensor change at the dealer. I would like to change the other one and see if it helps. I am not getting any lights or codes, just "improper" ativation of the system.

How much were the sensors from the dealer? Do you have a pic where the one is behind the glove box?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:18 PM

Default it could be a abs wheel sensor...

that might pick up that one is spinning faster and kick in the esp. If you pull off the access panel on the passenger side of the dash where the door closes against it, the opposite as the fuse panel, you can see the sensor. I actually removed and replaced mine through that panel. At the dealership with my ACNA discount (15%) I got the first one for $107 six months ago, $122 today.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Same problem here!

Dealership swapped out my long accel sensor last week, and now the lights are comming on again, didn't even have the car for a week. Getting a little fed up with it.... In the process they messed up something with my outside temp sensor and replaced that, and then it turned out to be a bad cluster on top of all that. But good to know. Thanks
Old 09-28-2006, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My experience, with pictures, from the FAQ - see link >>

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1463950.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/tt/msgs/1463950.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've replaced both

and similar experience regarding part numbers that left me scratching my head. I do believe the part number changed at some point. Also, I don't completely buy that the lateral and longitudinal are the same part. If that's the case, why is one referred to as G200 while the other is G251? Also I think they are not priced the same...?
Old 09-28-2006, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They could easily be the same part if they are mounted in the car at 90 degrees to each other. Is

that the case?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:30 AM

Default yep, the arrows run inline with the end the connector is on...

so they are mounted 90 degrees out from each other. I have all the service records from my car and they haven't been replaced before, so the p/ns on the originals matched, but the long sensor had an additional part number on it. The lat may have as well, but I was unable to find it when I went digging through the garage.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

G200 vs G251 is so you know which location to replace, that is the ECUs name for them. It has less to do with the part number than the signal received from it.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TTagz
that might pick up that one is spinning faster and kick in the esp. If you pull off the access panel on the passenger side of the dash where the door closes against it, the opposite as the fuse panel, you can see the sensor. I actually removed and replaced mine through that panel. At the dealership with my ACNA discount (15%) I got the first one for $107 six months ago, $122 today.
I took the right side of the dash off and can see the sensor. I can't see where the mounting screws or bolts are to remove it. I'm going to try removing the glove box and see if this makes it easier. Can you shed some light on how you removed the sensor thorugh the access hole on the passenger side of the dash? Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Latitudinal and Longitudinal Acceleration sensors observations and notes...