A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Tiptronic vs. Automatic Transmission. (Need Answers!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic vs. Automatic Transmission. (Need Answers!)

Okay, I need some help here. I have a friend of mine that I was telling about tiptronic transmissions. He and I got into quite a discussion about Tranny's. He can't see the value in having a tiptronic over a regular Auto. He has a Dodge Avenger with a 4 speed automatic overdrive. (Jeremy, I like how you referred to it as a hunk of Detroit iron!) Anyway, my friend claims that using a combination of how far he depresses his gas pedal with the gear selector, that he can place his car in whichever gear he desires. I have personally never driven an Auto that would shift exactly when *I* wanted it to, but he seems convinced. We went back and forth, and I didn't know enough technical reasoning to justify why a tiptronic is a better tool to have. (Common sense tells me that it must be superior if they invented it and both Audi & BMW use it and don't have "normal" auto's anymore.) But I couldn't come up with any reason that he could take to the bank. I brought up being able to have the tranny **** higher in the rev range, but he said that when you stomp it to the floor, that it brings the RPM's up to redline anyway.

Anyway, I need your guys help! Please help me come up with some answers that will stand up to my stubborn Detroit iron driving friend!!!

(p.s. no debating manual vs. Tip, I don't even want to go there!)

-Trayson
1997 A4 1.8T
Old 07-29-2002, 10:06 PM

Default Your friend is full of ****

It is possible to select gears with a regular automatic, but there is no way he can as precise with it as with a Tip. It is much harder to hold a gear with a regular auto. If he puts it in D3 and wants to hold it in 3rd, while accelerating through a turn, he probably would not be able to do so. It would automatically downshift. Technically, I don't know how much difference there is between Tip and a regular auto. I believe there are kits out there to be able shift any auto tranny like a Tip.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default its very hard to hold a rpm in an auto without accelerating. it will always shift up a gear

with a tiptronic, you could easily hold a gear through a turn or curve and keep your rpms within the powerband.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:07 PM

Default With a tip you can choose when you want to shift....

he may be able to get the car into whatever gear he wants on his auto....but there's no way he's coming off the line and getting it up past 40 mph while still in second gear.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default hey maracuja! did you make the irvine meet? i didnt make it, was busy running around, missed drivin

drove everywhere and anywhere i could. plus i had to have dinner with some old family friends. Your new suspension come yet?
Old 07-29-2002, 10:14 PM

Default well.....for tip, u usually have 5 gears... long

anyways, it's easier to shift with tip but shifting with regular auto is also possible. NOtice how there is 1, 2, overdrive, and Drive on most auto. It represents 1,2 3 and4th gear. Anyways, tip is easier to manage since there is no shift lock botton and auto is really not made for regular shift like maunal or tip. Besides the extra gear, tip doesn't have much on auto sicne tip too is AUTOMATIC transmission. But i will take the tip and extra gear anyday!
Old 07-29-2002, 10:26 PM

Default I was there

My stuff was supposed to come today, but I didn't call to see if it did. My car will be ready in a few weeks. I will be going to Neowerks, so maybe we can meet up then.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Nah, he only rolled by in his accord revving everyone and then left to Hot import nights
Old 07-29-2002, 10:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i doubt i can make that, strict asian parents control my boring life
Old 07-29-2002, 10:39 PM

Fear the four speed!

Quick Reply: Tiptronic vs. Automatic Transmission. (Need Answers!)