A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Audi B5A4 1.8T Transmission Multifunction Switch Replacement Writeup

Old 03-13-2010, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nikczzowitz
the gauge cluster that show the gears, p,r,n,d,4,3,2 doesn't show up when i switch gears. every gear works fine but when in reverse it acts as if it s in neutral it just revs when you give it gas. i have never worked on a Audi but it seems to be the multi function switch... wo i be correct with this guess???
Hay man..I had the same problem initially..took it to a guy who had the VAG tool who checked to see if there were any codes. There were no codes but we realized that transmission gauge cluster and the VAG was just not following with the gears that we changed into manually. So, we thought it will be MFS. Also, on my way back, the gauge cluster showing gears lit up all the gears and my car would not go into the top gear either. I am working on MFS right now..Lets see how it goes!! Hope that helps.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default MFS

Well after careful scrutiny, I am now convinced that the MFS is in need of attention.
The TCM that I put in seems to work fine. But when I shift into R(everse) N(eutral) shows up on the instrument panel.
All of the others register just fine.
With any luck, some contact cleaner will do the job and save the girl $$$.

I have read Nates write up many times.
How did you make out with your repairs?

GOING FORWARD!
WHO NEEDS REVERSE ANYWAY?
Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by E96A4Q
Well after careful scrutiny, I am now convinced that the MFS is in need of attention.
The TCM that I put in seems to work fine. But when I shift into R(everse) N(eutral) shows up on the instrument panel.
All of the others register just fine.
With any luck, some contact cleaner will do the job and save the girl $$$.

I have read Nates write up many times.
How did you make out with your repairs?

GOING FORWARD!
WHO NEEDS REVERSE ANYWAY?
Well, I simply followed Nate's instructions/pics. Those are awesome and you cannot mess it up unless you really want to. One point I may add though is that once you change the MFS, you will need the VAG tool to reset/clear all the codes. Another suggestions that I may give is, if it all started because MFS got wet, you can even try to take it out dry it, clean the connectors, put it back and then reset with VAG tool in the hope that it may e just fine. Some have had luck with this and saved $$$$$$. Otherwise, new expensive freakin MFS!!!
Old 04-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wheel Removal

Is it necessary to remove the 25MM bolt that is in the center of the wheel, in addition to the 5 17mm lug nuts?
Old 04-17-2010, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is it necessary to remove the 25MM bolt that is in the center of the wheel, in addition to the 5 17mm lug nuts?
Dude! That is the axle bolt....Why do you want to open axle bolt for MFS
Old 04-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wheel Removal

I surely don't want to remove the axle bolt.
Just that the rim is stuck on there really good.
Thought I'd check on this before I bash the bugger.
Thanks.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I surely don't want to remove the axle bolt.
Just that the rim is stuck on there really good.
Thought I'd check on this before I bash the bugger.
Thanks.
Don't remove that bolt. Get a lever between the wheel and the caliper (wrap ii to prevent wheel damage) and lever off.

The other thing to do if you are brave and the car drives is loosen the wheel bolts a couple of turns but don't remove them. Then drive around the block slowly turning back and fro. That seem to loosen them up. Only for the brave but it works!
Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Wheel

I got the wheel off, eventually. Ended up using some 4 by 4's and a hydraulic jack to pop the little puppy using the opposite wheel for leverage.
That is the good news.
Nates picture looked just like this car, unfortunately, the cleaner didn't do the trick.
Well, off to find a MFS.
The price difference between the later models, although they look the same, and the 96 models is significant.
Are they interchangeable?
As ususl, thanks for the support.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default MFS Switch replacement

Ok I removed the two bolts on the bottom of the transmission mount with the 13mm socket driver. Then the 17mm nut to removel the center bolt.
This is where I am.

Kinda lost here.
What do I do next?
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok I removed the two bolts on the bottom of the transmission mount with the 13mm socket driver. Then the 17mm nut to removel the center bolt.
This is where I am.

Kinda lost here.
What do I do next?
You need to take the transmission mount completely off..thats what I did for mine...You will remove that bolt to take the mount off. Once you do that, you will see the bracket that covers the MFS)..as shown in the Nate's pictures.....Take that bracket off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi B5A4 1.8T Transmission Multifunction Switch Replacement Writeup