A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

05 Bluetooth issue / Sat Radio cutting out..

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:16 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 05 Bluetooth issue / Sat Radio cutting out..

My Samsung GS4 phone keeps disconnecting from the MMI bluetooth every few minutes on my 05 4.2. Not sure if this is a phone issue or a car BT module going bad. My MMI is running the latest firmware. Perhaps related, my sat radio cuts out intermittently. I never listen to FM so I am not sure if it cuts out on CD or FM/AM. I read that a bad BT module will cause the stereo to cut out as described. If so, what parts need to be looked at replacing (part # etc).

Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2014, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

BT module is the prime suspect
Old 01-18-2014, 01:03 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
BT module is the prime suspect
I did a little more diagnosing and I have had zero connection issues with 2 other Samsung and 1 HTC device. As for the audio cutting out, it only cuts out on XM, and only for a quick second every now and then.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
I did a little more diagnosing and I have had zero connection issues with 2 other Samsung and 1 HTC device. As for the audio cutting out, it only cuts out on XM, and only for a quick second every now and then.
I've had simmilar issues with my BlackBerry. All I had to do was to un-install car from the phone and install it back on. I thought it was just a bad pairing... Have you tried that?
Old 01-18-2014, 05:51 PM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by olikoli
I've had simmilar issues with my BlackBerry. All I had to do was to un-install car from the phone and install it back on. I thought it was just a bad pairing... Have you tried that?
Yes, I have reset the car's phone settings to default, deleted any pairings, etc. Seems to be a Samsung G4 problem.

But the XM cutting out perplexes me.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f10
But the XM cutting out perplexes me.
in 2005 sirius was a separate company from XM and some audis had sirius units and some xm ... the radio units are located in the left compartment in the trunk. if u have a sirius unit i would say that is the issue and look to swap it out with and XM unit

if u r certain its XM then it could be the antenna itself
the covers of the antenna were made of thin plastic and used tiny screws and the covers usually broke and moisture gets into the circuitry.
the circuitry is pretty strong and durable but over time im sure the performance suffers.

swapping the xm unit worked for my reception issue and then i sold it to a forum member and it also fixed his reception issue

if u decide to swap out the antenna let me know... i have a grey antenna made for c6s ..longer wiring and smaller stronger
Old 01-20-2014, 08:09 AM
f10
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MainlandMig
in 2005 sirius was a separate company from XM and some audis had sirius units and some xm ... the radio units are located in the left compartment in the trunk. if u have a sirius unit i would say that is the issue and look to swap it out with and XM unit

if u r certain its XM then it could be the antenna itself
the covers of the antenna were made of thin plastic and used tiny screws and the covers usually broke and moisture gets into the circuitry.
the circuitry is pretty strong and durable but over time im sure the performance suffers.

swapping the xm unit worked for my reception issue and then i sold it to a forum member and it also fixed his reception issue

if u decide to swap out the antenna let me know... i have a grey antenna made for c6s ..longer wiring and smaller stronger
Mine is definitely XM. What should I do to diagnose the antenna?
Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a sumsung Note 3 and for the bluetooth intermittent issues I downloaded A2DP volume version 2.11.7 so it helps me pair up much better. For the satellite reception problem I dumped my sirius module and replaced it with an XM,
But since you are having problems with an xm unit, I think I would unplug it completely, restart the car without it then, plug it back and restart so it gets a hard reset. If it fails you could just swap it for a used one on ebay. Good luck
Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree ^ def do this 1st

then i would check for water in the trunk and xm unit area

i would prob trying swapping out another XM unit in the trunk

yes u have XM but that is easier to do then testing the antenna

i tried diagnosing the antenna using VCDS
i was doing circles in a mall parking lot
and VCDS just confirmed signal reception ..when i lost reception reading went to zero
im no VCDS expert so in this case i didnt find it much help... PITA actually

i would do is look on the roof and VERY gently lift on the antenna ( were are just testing if there is any play)
if the cover is gapping up off the roof anywhere on the roof then its a bad sign..

whats needed is to remove antenna off roof and look at the underside and guts

but doing this requires removing headliner
and to look at the guts u would have to unscrew the painted cover and audi does not recommends that bc it pretty much guarantees that u break the cover
audi recommends just getting a new antenna but thats pricey and u would have to paint it to match

ive seen some where the cover placed on the unit using some sort of silicone sealant

earlier 2006 had larger antennas w 4 long plugs
around 2008 they were miniaturized and went to 3 plug but i believe the newer ones will work with earlier c6s

search mainlandmig + antenna

Last edited by MainlandMig; 01-21-2014 at 06:44 AM.