A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st to 2nd gear thump

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
You didn't feel the thumb while test driving the car before taking delivery? Transmission thumbing is troublesome. I thought they fixed the trannie in D3, D2 was horrible.

Cheers,

Louis

I didn't feel a thing when I drove it. Everything was perfect until I got back.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

I read a lot about transmission thumbing when I owned my D2 although I never had the problems. People changed oil and it didn't help but screwing it up more due to wrong procedures. I think one person changed the F1 switch and it did fix it with some solenoids cleaning. It's been many years ago.
As I understand this type of transmission, all gears were controlled by fluid pressures from these little solenoids mounting on the front of the transmission. Since you're very handy, look under the transmission and make sure there's no contacts on these solenoids were dirty or not making contact.
The guy spent $8k on a car at 63k miles and let it go at 77k miles, must be very fishy... trannie must be the cause.
Just a hunch,

Good luck,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 01-06-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Let me try one more time. I would suggesting moving past the history now and get to what could be wrong. I spent the time in the prior response on several ideas relevant to the tranny function, but they didn't seem to stick. Please re read.

To answer your new question, that fluid part number is the standard/original "gold" color used in 4.2's as factory fill. There is a "blue" version from the W12 used when the 4.2 tranny "hoots" or acts up some, but the usual pointer for it is shifting in the higher gears, not the 1-2 point. Also happens on Jag XJ8's and BMW's w/ the V8 from the same era that use the RWD flavor of the same basic ZF 6 speed tranny. Search the D3 A8 archives here for a bunch more info, variously on the hoot, the "gold" and the "blue" (or the "green" that is newer and sometimes seen/used on the 6 speed ZFs). Changing to a different fluid type takes a very thorough change, and may take 3+ drain cycles to get to a 90% fluid change. Being clear, your 1-2 symptoms don't fit that very well, so while I am trying to pass along some context, I wouldn't jump to that path very early.

Meantime, consider buying VAG-COM/VCDS if you don't have already. Most DIY'ers or even guys trying to know what their car's issues are get it. Then you could scan for codes in both the ECU and TCU for starters, assess MAF, etc. My prior message already had pointers for other non tranny areas. The tranny, its computer, the engine computer, the MAF and the electronic throttle are all very closely coupled in the shifting context. See my prior message for suggest next things to look at or ask dealer about if that is your current service point.
I do have a VAG-COM and checked for engine and transmission codes and they are none. I asked the dealer at the time if there are any updates and they told me no. I did tell the dealer that it has been fully serviced before. I might have to drive it more to adapt but at the mileage I'm at I don't think there's an actual problem inside the tranny since they are very reliable. I'll get it straightened out one way or another. When I test drove the car it shifted perfect. It also had the original battery in there and I replaced that thinking that might have a little something to do with it.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I read a lot about transmission thumbing when I owned my D2 although I never had the problems. People changed oil and it didn't help but screwing it up more due to wrong procedures. I think one person changed the F1 switch and it did fix it with some solenoids cleaning. It's been many years ago.
As I understand this type of transmission, all gears were controlled by fluid pressures from these little solenoids mounting on the front of the transmission. Since you're very handy, look under the transmission and make sure there's no contacts on these solenoids were dirty or not making contact.
The guy spent $8k on a car at 63k miles and let it go at 77k miles, must be very fishy... trannie must be the cause.
Just a hunch,

Good luck,

Louis
Yea that's what I kinda feel too. That much money is a downpayment on another car. Or he could have gotten tired of putting money into it and I assumed that he wasn't mechanically savvy.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Do you guys have any other ideas with this?? Should I upgrade to the blue fluid or should I wait for a little bit??
Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You can ask your dealer to update your transmission software. He should perform adaptation after that too. It might help.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
You can ask your dealer to update your transmission software. He should perform adaptation after that too. It might help.
I asked if there are any updates and there are none. Do you think they're full of it?? Around how much they charge to do both update and adaptation?? How long does it take usually?? I'm scheduled to take it back tomorrow evening. Should I bring it up again? I rather do that than do a service again.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

There is newer software. It has to be updated if ATF is replaced with blue one, but it may help in your case. It takes minutes to update. Adaptation requires driving around in a prescribed manner.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
There is newer software. It has to be updated if ATF is replaced with blue one, but it may help in your case. It takes minutes to update. Adaptation requires driving around in a prescribed manner.
Well at least I know updating to the blue fluid would lighten my wallet quite a bit. I don't want to spend money one something that probably won't help. Do you think from the fluid being low it's still putting out a higher line pressure from being low before?? How long do you think for the adaption to change the patterns?
Old 01-07-2014, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Just have the adaptation performed on your transmission and it will fix it. Adding fluid in a trans that was low caused mine to have the same symptom. Like I said in the PM, mine shifts butter smooth now. I also forgot that I also did a throttle adaptation with no change back then too.

Quick Reply: 1st to 2nd gear thump