A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change story

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

2003 - 2006 are BFM. 5 valve 4.2 liter V8 with PFI (Port Fuel Injection or indirect fuel injection).

2007 - 2010 are BVJ. 4 valve 4.2 liter V8 with FSI (Fuel Stratified Injection or direct injection).

BFM has oil filter on the right side of the engine, underneath the air filter box. BVJ oil filter is on top of the engine, easy to replace.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so I guess I do have a bfm. I have had the air filter box out few times to work on front bulbs not that hard just patience. also I forgot they tried to upsell me yesterday on a $54 air filter really? just ordered one for 12.95 plus shipping 18.60 total easy replacement.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The oil change on my 13.5 qt W12 was so much easier than it is on my 4.2L BFM engined 04 V8 A8.

That filter location is terrible. Have to go above and below the car multiple times before even getting to the filter. Something I would never do in the winter (Michigan) unless my garage was heated and I had a lot of time on my hands. My local indy's are pretty cool and only charge about $40 for the labor on mine
Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want an independent mechanic in Lexington try http://independentvwaudiservice.com/. I haven't used them yet, but he was recommended to me by a mechanic I trust. There's also Fast Enough Performance.
..and yes, this is a really stupid design for oil filter changes.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thx tjf for the local shops I was wandering what I was going to do about the timing belt water pump stuff coming next yr its 75k mile right
Old 12-19-2013, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes the timing belt service is recommended at 75K and on top of that they replace the thermostat because it's in that area anyways and they are notorious for failing in the BFM 40 valve engines. Just make sure you ask to replace it and make sure you get all of your old parts back like I did to mine. The original ones usually go bad and stick closed(overheat)around 30-50K. That's usually covered under warranty anyways. I think the serpentine belt is changed also. I had mine changed at 110K and I was very grateful that one of the tensioners and the waterpump didn't fail on me, thus snapping the belt. I paid $950 to get everything replaced on mine including the thermostat and serpentine belt.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mishar
It's quite a job to replace oil filter. May be not $170 job but not laughing matter either.
Agreed. I have experienced it first hand and is in a very bad spot. If you move that coolant pipe too much it can break and the motor has to be removed to replace it and we both know that. I was careful when I did mine. I work on cars a lot and I'm probably considering paying the $149 plus tax for the service next time. Not sure yet what I'm going to do.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are BFM, bfm my friend. I have the same model year.

Originally Posted by wildwilly1
oh ok I thought there might be something wrong with the oil or something. how do you figure out engine code
Old 12-19-2013, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Why would you let someone to do something easy to break?

Originally Posted by 2k4blacka8
Agreed. I have experienced it first hand and is in a very bad spot. If you move that coolant pipe too much it can break and the motor has to be removed to replace it and we both know that. I was careful when I did mine. I work on cars a lot and I'm probably considering paying the $149 plus tax for the service next time. Not sure yet what I'm going to do.
What does the shop do about the filter that you can't do? Tools? If it's easy to break or strip or any mishaps, why would you let someone else doing it? They don't break, or they break and they don't tell you until you find out yourself after the job is done.

If something is NO brainer, I would let someone else to do it. IMO, the logic seems to be in reverse here, unless I'm missing something.

The first owner always took the car to the dealers for services, the last few times, he took to some shops for oil changes, I can't wait to see if they stripped the plastic cap that everyone's been talking about when I replace mine.

Delicate work should be done with care by the owners, if the owners don't care, then nothing matters.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-20-2013, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
What does the shop do about the filter that you can't do? Tools? If it's easy to break or strip or any mishaps, why would you let someone else doing it? They don't break, or they break and they don't tell you until you find out yourself after the job is done.

If something is NO brainer, I would let someone else to do it. IMO, the logic seems to be in reverse here, unless I'm missing something.

The first owner always took the car to the dealers for services, the last few times, he took to some shops for oil changes, I can't wait to see if they stripped the plastic cap that everyone's been talking about when I replace mine.

Delicate work should be done with care by the owners, if the owners don't care, then nothing matters.

Cheers,

Louis
Well that's why you take it to the dealer lol. If they break the coolant pipe or strip the oil filter cap they're responsible. If you take it to an independent shop and they did that then when they do mess it up you won't know about it until after the fact and after so long you can't prove it. The dealer has a better chance replacing stuff that they break because they are supposed to "care" about your car but they are some careless dealers out there too. But you are right the only way you know it will be done right is if you do the work. Like you said nothing matters if the owners don't care. Another reason why I'd consider the dealer doing it is because when I do sell the car in the future and the new owner asks for a carfax, that stuff will be on record which is a good selling point.

Quick Reply: oil change story