A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bring wheels back to silver. Hyper silver or medium silver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bring wheels back to silver. Hyper silver or medium silver?

Hi,

When I purchased the car, the wheels had received a color change. I have received a quote to bring back the 19" sport wheels to silver.

The wheel shop states that the OEM paint finish was Hyper Silver. They want $175 for Hyper and $150 for medium silver. Is Hyper Silver the color of the standard wheel that I carry as a spare?

Does everyone enjoy their Hypersilver wheels or do you find yourself longing for medium silver? What would be best? My car is silver, the wheels look darker in the car pic. Color in wheel picture is proper.
Attached Images   
Old 12-16-2013, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I think there are different shades of hyper silver. A lot of the aftermarket are the darker shade vs OE usually are lighter. I have hyper silver but it's more of a very bright silver which I like.

Also if you curb rash one later, hyper is harder to match.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

In my opinion the best wheel color for a silver A8 is silver as close as possible to the body color.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine were redone by a prior owner, and I think they may be a little lighter in color than the originals (though I could be incorrect). Here's a pic:
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nathanwind
Mine were redone by a prior owner, and I think they may be a little lighter in color than the originals (though I could be incorrect).
That is a nice color of silver, moreso the true "hyper silver" that comes with aftermarket wheels.
I used to work with a wheel repair guy and he told me that that color was a pain.

Also consider going through the paint selections and seeing what is appealing to you. I had some Porsche wheels redone and ended up using an Acura shade of silver. Those came out nice.
Good luck with your color choice.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Your top picture looks like one covered in break dust and looks bad IMO.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
Speaking of brake dust, I have to say the most amazing stuff I've ever uses is the Poorboys Wheel Cleaner:
Amazon.com: Poorboy's Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner 32 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Poorboy's Spray and Rinse Wheel Cleaner 32 oz.: Automotive

Wet the wheels, spray it on, wait a few minutes, hose it off and the wheels come so clean you can eat off of them. The pic I posted of my wheels I had actually put this stuff on there the day before (which is why I wasn't embarrassed to post a pic of my rims : ).
Old 12-18-2013, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brozee
I'm torn. I actually like the look of those darker wheels, but I have the RS6 wheels on mine, and they're the exact same graphite color as yours, and they do kind of look like they're covered in brake dust.

I'm having them redone this week to be hyper silver.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by pmdeaver
I'm torn. I actually like the look of those darker wheels, but I have the RS6 wheels on mine, and they're the exact same graphite color as yours, and they do kind of look like they're covered in brake dust.
That's my opinion on any graphite or dark colored wheels. They just look like you have not clean your wheels and covered in brake dust.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
That's my opinion on any graphite or dark colored wheels. They just look like you have not clean your wheels and covered in brake dust.
I just love that color for the very same reason. I hate cleaning my wheels all the time and I like OEM dusty pads.

Actually I think it goes nicely with dark colored body (not black). Bright silver sticks out too much and collides with chrome parts. I would just go for less massive spokes. Way less.

Quick Reply: Bring wheels back to silver. Hyper silver or medium silver?