Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Cold Squeaky Brakes

Old 01-09-2014, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RickTu
I have ~12K on my Q5 3.0T. The brakes have been squeaking for quite some time, but they're very loud now that it's colder out. It's embarrassing - they are that loud.

They don't do it every time - but often under slow speed and light breaking.

I took it in to the dealer and they couldn't reproduce it, and essentially did nothing to the car. So, I'm going to drop by when it's doing it.

Will update the thread with any new developments - but this is the worse I've ever had in terms of brake squeal.
mine was extremely loud lol. I couldn't take it anymore. they should be able to fix it.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are so loud, primarily when backing up and the brakes are cold and/or damp, that you can hear them inside the house etc. It is embarrassing.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Mine are so loud, primarily when backing up and the brakes are cold and/or damp, that you can hear them inside the house etc. It is embarrassing.
makes our Audi look and sound bad lol. did you end up taking it to the dealers?
Old 01-09-2014, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
makes our Audi look and sound bad lol. did you end up taking it to the dealers?
Not yet, but I'm going to. I'll let you know what they say but after reading the posts here, I have a feeling I know already.

Other than the noise, I like the braking - Firm and linear feeling with little or no brake dust.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not yet, but I'm going to. I'll let you know what they say but after reading the posts here, I have a feeling I know already.

Other than the noise, I like the braking - Firm and linear feeling with little or no brake dust.
alright let us know. if you need me to scan a copy of my service receipt to show them let me know.

little to no brake dust, we all wish we could have that. I think the 2013+ Q5 comes with new brake pads with less brake dust.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
mine started at 15k. I brought It up to them and they said its just a "fine" abrasive on the pads that needs to be rubbed off. so I kept driving it. it stops squeaking after it warms up. and finally when it hit 20k it kept on squeaking and when I sent them a message for a price quote on the brake pads. that email was forward to the guy whom I dealt with ever since I got my car. He has been great so he decided to allow me to bring my car in and have the techs drive my car. Now the tech believes me that the brakes were having issues not by wear and tear. But I will scan a copy of the service receipt for you guys to take to the dealers.
If you don't want to scan and post it here, you can PM me. Thanks, much appreciated. Might even help if I take it to the same dealer as you. I've been switching back and forth between Burlington and Natick.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Parsec
If you don't want to scan and post it here, you can PM me. Thanks, much appreciated. Might even help if I take it to the same dealer as you. I've been switching back and forth between Burlington and Natick.
damn that's a long drive. I serviced mine at Audi Norwell. Look for Dennis.

pm your email when you have a chance.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's that trade-off thing... Brake pad material can typically be formulated for all-temp (no warm up needed before they work), dust, noise, heat resistance (ie fade), long life, etc.

If you want to stop a street vehicle that weighs a lot, is capable of high speed, needs to ALWAYS work from -40F to 120F, well you don't have a lot of things left to tweak except dust generation and noise. I'm simplifying somewhat, but German cars have generally all been equipped with pads that generates enormous amounts of dust.

I was near-overjoyed to find out the pads for '13+ had been reformulated for less dust, and was willing to put up with some noise in return. The first stop in the morning squeals a bit when temps are cold, but it's so much less irritating than having to remove baked on brake dust from the wheels every week.

With Brembo's strong performance background, I am quite honestly surprised with how well these brakes work for everyday. I really expected a lot more compromise.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Used to be the rotors would become "glazed" occasionally.....and I'm not limiting this to just Audi's...and the brakes would squeal. The remedy was to find a deserted stretch of road, get up to about 50 and perform a "panic stop". This braking action would scrub the rotors of the glaze and the squeal will be eliminated.
Give it a go........can't hurt.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Used to be the rotors would become "glazed" occasionally.....and I'm not limiting this to just Audi's...and the brakes would squeal. The remedy was to find a deserted stretch of road, get up to about 50 and perform a "panic stop". This braking action would scrub the rotors of the glaze and the squeal will be eliminated.
Give it a go........can't hurt.
ive done this too, it made the brakes worse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Squeaky Brakes