A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100k miles, need to change transmission oil??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TSHong
Also a lot of independent shops can flush all of the fluid, as long as they have the Audi radiator adapters.
Audi should have those adapters but they are recommending 3 flushes in a row when changing ATF type, making it very expensive. Or it can't be done that Way?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
Audi should have those adapters but they are recommending 3 flushes in a row when changing ATF type, making it very expensive. Or it can't be done that Way?
Audi recommends three flushes because they are dropping the pan and refilling the transmission. We use a flush machine in line and tap into the radiator cooler lines. New fluid goes in and old fluid is trapped in a bladder in the flush machine. It usually takes 12 to 14 qts to change all the fluid.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default My 20 cents on owning Audi A8

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
I have 196,000 miles on mine. Still the original fluid.
Before I pulled the trigger on my 06 A8L, I'd read every post that MR. Bally wrote about his car. I knew this car has more "expensive stuff" than my Old Faithful 98 A8. I think in this whole forum, MR. Bally is the only one who's down to earth and truthful about how he owns his car.
I'm the same way, why all my friends are driving BMW and Mercedes or Lexus and I drive Audi? I don't care about status, I care about well built and reliable cars. To me cars serve people and people don't serve cars, but what's made to fail, will fail, and when it fails I'll fix it.
I don't give squat about what people say about the way I maintain my car or what kind of gas I put in my car (always regular). I don't race with anyone, therefore I don't need high octane and I never heard my Audi pinging.
Here is why I chose Audi.
They're used to be the worst car in holding resale values - I liked that, I can buy them cheap and drive with the lowest cost per year or miles.

-2003 I bought 1996 A6 Station wagon for 10,500. I drove until now, 154k miles with original timing belt, I changed oil once a year because the car drinks oil, 1 quart every 2k miles. The oil is black, but always full. So, engine dies because lack of oil and not dirty oil. Now 10 years later and 80k miles, I can donate the car or drive until it dies. I don't care. I haven't put in any money for the car besides brakes and tires - cost of owning this car 10.5k/10 years = 1.05k/year or 10.5k/80k miles < 20 cents/mile.
-2004 I bought 98 A8 for 11,500. Drove it for 7 years @175k miles - sold it for $1000. I spent less than $2k for all maintenance in 7 years (suspension parts, MAF, waterpump, oil cooler pipe). Again, never once change transmission oil or anything like that, never knew what thumbing was.
-So this 06 A8L - $17k + $1k for all improvements (back up camera - tv - AMI etc) 73k miles.
If I can drive up to 175k miles = 100k miles and not to spend anything - I can sell the car for 1k again because 20 cents a mile is cheap for owning a car like A8L.
I already drove 8k miles - none spent so far - the car now is worth $1600 less already.
I read the forum with all problems people have, most of them because of operator errors on operations not needed. The problem is, if it's a walking wounded, it's always handicapped.
OK, my friends say I'm lucky with Audi because all my Audis have been so reliable, yes, may be, but may be not because I don't touch my Audis. The amazing thing is they don't break because I don't open them up to try to fix something or let someone to do it either.
In 7 and 10 years of A8 and A6, I replaced air cleaners once each. Never failed to start and always get good gas mileage. Yes, I took them out and shake them once every year when I changed the oil.
I'd never changed a gas filter, fuel pump or injectors ever in my life.
I'd never flush or bleed brakes on any of my cars and they're stopped on a dime.
I believe everything in a car is a sealed system, don't open them to introduce leaks: gas, brakes, transmission, cooling... etc.
I don't think any body can afford to own Audi if they're so paranoid about maintenance on Audi. Set a goal and follow it, fail to plan, plan to fail.
How much cost of owning this beautiful machine is fair to you, and keep it within the range and be happy.
I'm confident that this 06 A8L will last me another 100k miles without costing me an arm and a leg as long as I don't open it up to fix it while it's working. By then, it's 20 cents a mile it will be and I'll be happy. Then another A8 it will be.
What's the heck is 55k, 100k, miles service? If the spark plugs die, car won't run, but if it runs smoothly then spark plugs are good.
I never feel sorry for people who take a perfectly run machine, get the service and all hell break lose after the service, pointing fingers, stress and no answers.
2008 leased new- Q7 35k miles cost of maintenance + failures = $0
2004 - Cabriolet (sister is driving now) 30k miles later fixing cost besides maintenance oil change and tune up = $0.
1998 - A6 leased new - daddy is driving 120k miles fixing cost beside maintenance oil change = $0.

Yes, I've been lucky owning these Audis with the lowest costs. Is it coincidence that all my cars are reliable?Hmmm.

Again, everyone is entitled to his/her opinions and the right to break his/her own cars or the right to throw his/her money down the toilet.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 09-18-2013, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
None of that applies to a D3 A8 or S8. I no longer trust Blau for anything. Search for D3 threads for Blauparts for my reasons. Your mileage may vary.
I have read your post in the past on the timing belt issue and your dislike for Blauparts, so I'm aware of that and understand where you are coming from. If anyone read the link, it's clear it's for a "Audi A6 with a 4 speed (097) transmission". In my post it's states "Here is some more info. Please draw your own conclusion. Thanks"
Old 09-18-2013, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Audi recommends three flushes because they are dropping the pan and refilling the transmission. We use a flush machine in line and tap into the radiator cooler lines. New fluid goes in and old fluid is trapped in a bladder in the flush machine. It usually takes 12 to 14 qts to change all the fluid.
That taping doesn't look so easy on A8.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mishar
That taping doesn't look so easy on A8.
You are probably right. I've only done one oil change and due for service sometime soon. I will take a look and see how hard it's going to be.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Louis!
In general I agree with your statement not to change something just to change. I agree as a rule that will not bring any significant benefit. But I cannot agree on some essentials.
Like every 2 years brake fluid flush. It does not cost much at all and not labor intensive. Such step makes sure your brake fluid is always fresh. 2 years maybe overkill, but I would suggest doing it
Fuel Filter replacement takes 10 min and Fuel Filter does not cost much. My opinion – should be done as preventive maintenance.
Coolant replacement – quick and not cost as long as you doing it right. Otherwise you’ll get the issue with air in the system.
Regular gas to the V8 4.2 – that is not the best thing. But it’s your personal choice.
The rest I’m pretty much agreeing.
I used to own Audi V8, 3.6 PT, 1991. I gave it to one Audi lover in fully working condition when it was 21 years old. I never calculated my cost per mile owning it, but I did calculate the cost of owning it per month. It was $175.22 Keep in mind for all those long years I owned it I "over maintained" it. I did everything what needed even more. And out of that expense the half of that is maintenance cost I did.

Anyway. I got older and maintain my A8 based on the Audi recommendations only
Old 09-19-2013, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've discussed this with the guys at ZF, and they specifically recommend against it. While those machines are really cool and make life WAY easier, I did mine the hard way when I swapped the 6 fluid out for the 8.

Audi has superseded all of it to the 8 spec (expect I think for the W12 where they still call for 6+), so you may as well do the TSB which gets you the new software and and flush/ fill it with LifeGuard 8 fluid.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Wiseguy

Received 223 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwm750
I've discussed this with the guys at ZF, and they specifically recommend against it. While those machines are really cool and make life WAY easier, I did mine the hard way when I swapped the 6 fluid out for the 8.
Why is that?
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dvs_dave
Why is that?
They aren't comfortable with the pressures and the potential for loosening up debris somewhere. In an ideal world it'd all work just fine- they just aren't comfortable with assuming that real life is ideal.

Quick Reply: 100k miles, need to change transmission oil??