A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS question please guys....

Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS question please guys....

My '05 has been showing the TPMS icon on the dash since I got it. Fair enough. With new rims and tyres I told the guys to build them without the existing sensors in, thus definitively causing the error icon, because they 'tested' all five and said they got next to no 'replies'. Again, fair enough, but the VCDS shows this for the TPMS system:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 65: Tire Pressure
Cannot be reached

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

My questions are:

1) does this imply a faulty receiver (I have always got that error code, even before the rim swap) and

2) Can I test the new sensors (I'm happy to go ahead and buy the orange ones..)without stripping down the rims and actually fitting them, for example by having them on the floor by the wheels in the garage, or does the car have to be moving?

3) can I test the control module/receiver without the sensors?

and lastly, 4) How do you test the sensors themselves before installation. I still have five sensors from the (now tyre-less) 19" turbines...

Thanks guys,

K9
Old 05-08-2012, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

With the VCDS (Ross-Tech) software you can test to see if any of the receivers are bad or if you have any faulty transmitters. I have a bad receiver (right front) so I just disabled the system and use my nice VDO tire pressure gauge. I have an old MMI version (the last free update version) so I turn it off there.

If you have a newer version, you can use VCDS to shut off the system if desired.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Save yourself the aggravation and turn the system off.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I hear you both...

but I want to get it working with minimum fuss and tyre removal. Thanks both, I'll investigate the VCDS testing....

K9
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want to make it work start with sensors. You must have them. If that only doesn't fix the problem VCDS will help you with your next step.

You may turn it off too. That had sense to me when sensors where $115 each. Now it doesn't. It is good to have that warning, especially on the freeway. One tire costs more than you would spend on TPMS.

Regarding your questions:

1. Check if somebody disconnected TPMS module. It is underneath your rear seat.

2. Car has to be driven for about 20 minutes.

3. I believe not. I couldn't.

4. Tire shops have a gauge that check them. Didn't you say that they already checked the old ones and that they got next to no 'replies'?
Old 05-08-2012, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thank you Sir...

Glad you survived the night! I'll check the module. Any chance of a Bentley picture of it please? I've spent all day trying to get it to work on Windows 7 Home Premium to no avail.

I'll order the sensors and start from there, I just wanted to be sure that the module was working first....

Thanks, K9

Originally Posted by mishar
If you want to make it work start with sensors. You must have them. If that only doesn't fix the problem VCDS will help you with your next step.

You may turn it off too. That had sense to me when sensors where $115 each. Now it doesn't. It is good to have that warning, especially on the freeway. One tire costs more than you would spend on TPMS.

Regarding your questions:

1. Check if somebody disconnected TPMS module. It is underneath your rear seat.

2. Car has to be driven for about 20 minutes.

3. I believe not. I couldn't.

4. Tire shops have a gauge that check them. Didn't you say that they already checked the old ones and that they got next to no 'replies'?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, I haven't slept underneath my car. Yet.

Only way to make Bentley working under Windows 7 is to install XP Mode first. Check Microsoft.com.

I wanted to check the rest of the system before ordering sensors, but I didn't find the way. When Orange started selling them for $30 it became easy to decide.

Last edited by mishar; 05-09-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe it is possible to fit new batteries to your old sensors - that may just end up being a very cheap way to get the system working again.

I am not sure the car has to be moving - I have slow air loss from both front tyres (I suspect leaks around the valve) and often - after about two weeks, I get the warning as soon as I start up after the car has been standing overnight or during the day at work.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I looked at my old sensors and had the same thought. But at $30/ea for aftermarket, it's probably not worth it. A few issues:

1) They're sealed, so you'd have to cut them open to replace that battery and probably be guessing on the first one.

2) Install a new battery and then reseal it. Then envision the newly sealed sensor spinning at 70 MPH in relatively high heat. The new joint fails and now you've got a battery and probably a piece of the sensor flying around inside the tire.

Not saying it couldn't be done with some epoxy, and if they were $100 ea I might have given it a go myself.

Bob
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Battery can't be changed. It doesn't have its own body. It shares it with the rest and all is sealed with hard plaster like material. Not even if they are $1000.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS question please guys....