New to Chicago, looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Chicago, looking for recommendations

Hi all,
I'm new to Chicago and was wondering if anyone can recommend spots for the services below that are within 30 minutes of the city (I live in Old Town). Most of the recommendations I've found in searching the board seem to be some distance outside the city and while I don't mind making the trek if needed, would prefer some options closer to home if there are any. I have a Q5 if it matters. Thanks in advance.

-Window tint
-Detailing
-Maintenance and service (dealer or independent)
Old 05-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by stroke5
Hi all,
I'm new to Chicago and was wondering if anyone can recommend spots for the services below that are within 30 minutes of the city (I live in Old Town). Most of the recommendations I've found in searching the board seem to be some distance outside the city and while I don't mind making the trek if needed, would prefer some options closer to home if there are any. I have a Q5 if it matters. Thanks in advance.

-Window tint
-Detailing
-Maintenance and service (dealer or independent)

For Window tint

http://www.umbrawindowtinting.com/

had about 5 cars done by them, excellent work, never heard a single negative comment about them

For Detailing

Me and I offer mobile service so I come out to you. Feel free to pm

For maintenance and service

Wizard Works
Ind

Both great shops.

I'm sure others will chime in and give some great recomendations as well.

OH, and Welcome to Chicago!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two guys I like for tinting. Greg at Quality Windows. He is in Warrenville though and Mid America Tint in Schaumburg. If you are looking for Indi shops you can always ask on the local boards on www.quattroworld.com Very active local forum. I think many members live pretty close to the city, but I don't know many of them at all.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Lustr Auto Detail for detailing:

http://lustrdetail.com/

Their shop is in Hoffman Estates but Ivan has done assessments for me at his house on the north side and even let me drop my car off there last time I had it polished (ymmv). I highly recommend them.

I had tint applied by Shaded Days in Lake Bluff (several forums vouched for them in my research) and I was VERY satisfied.

The reality is that you need to drive out of the city for most of this stuff if you want top quality. Luckily these services are either one time or infrequent so not that big of a hassle.

For more regular washing I use Simon's. They are the best of a bad situation. NOBODY does a decent hand wash for a dark colored car. At least they have fresh mitts and towels and use good products. Their technique is still pretty horrible (washing the bottom of the car and dragging the same mitt up to the hood/roof as they walk along the car, never rinsing the mitt and just dragging the dirt all over the finish). If you can't wash your own car you will stand to do the least damage to your finish with these guys vs any other hand or brush wash. The touchless washes are probably better for swirls but will dissolve waxes and seals faster with the high pressure and harsher chemicals. Basically, I wash when I can, go to Simon's the rest of the year, and make sure Ivan gets a polish in once per year to reduce the swirling.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NVThs1
If you are looking for Indi shops you can always ask on the local boards on www.quattroworld.com Very active local forum. I think many members live pretty close to the city, but I don't know many of them at all.
The chicagoland forum on QuattroWorld.comn is indeed very active - most especially by members for the Audi Car Club Chicagoland Chapter. If you asked your question over there I bet the first recomemndation for maintenance work on your Audi would be for Chicago Performance and Tuning in Melrose Park: gocpt.com.