Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

ODB Port Location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default ODB Port Location?

Hey I have a new 2014 A5 and I want to plug in my Automatic (http://www.automatic.com) into. However an initial look for it didn't turn it up. Where is it exactly?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TTom TTR
Hey I have a new 2014 A5 and I want to plug in my Automatic (http://www.automatic.com) into. However an initial look for it didn't turn it up. Where is it exactly?
Right here, above the dead pedal close to ur left knee under the dash. That thing is pretty cool. Can you use it like a low jack to locate your car if it is stolen?

Name:  me.jpg
Views: 13102
Size:  46.3 KB
Old 01-09-2014, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

No lojack features, it's short-range bluetooth to your phone. It's encrypted, and far as they've explained basically designed to help you manage your driving habits to avoid burning excess gas.

It's a neat gee-whiz thing mostly for me, as I have to turn off it's 'you're going over 70 MPH alarms' a lot Speed limit is 75MPH on one of my roads I commute on.

Also tags where you park and plots it on your map so if you're in unfamiliar territory that helps. Doesn't know what floor you're on in the airport parking garage though
Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a neat gizmo. I've been using an OBDII Bluetooth dongle from GoPoint to pull throttle, RPM, and gear information into my track videos. It also can provide monitoring of engine data such as engine temp, and pull fault codes. But it doesn't tell you where you've parked.

As for the OBD II connector - by law in the US it's always located where TTom indicated, regardless of car make or model of car. You may have to kneel on the floor of your garage and use a flashlight to see it, and be aware that it's assymetric so that the dongle plugs in one way only. When fully seated you should feel and hear it click home.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

After some research on the product, a couple of things concern me about the Automatic Link. First, it's required to have an account where all of the car's data is stored on their servers with your driving and location history from the app. I'm not crazy about yet another device that tracks me or my car. Second, after checking on their website, apparently, due to Audi not registering fuel or mpg data that can be shared through the OBD, the results are based on avg gas costs (not actual) and the device can only track data by trip and not fill up. This would make the reported results less than accurate.
As to the reporting and description of of CEL messages, they appear to be very basic and the device will not report other faults. I'll stick with my VCDS for scans (and mods) and one of the inexpensive/free fuel apps for fuel use tracking.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
After some research on the product, a couple of things concern me about the Automatic Link. First, it's required to have an account where all of the car's data is stored on their servers with your driving and location history from the app. I'm not crazy about yet another device that tracks me or my car. Second, after checking on their website, apparently, due to Audi not registering fuel or mpg data that can be shared through the OBD, the results are based on avg gas costs (not actual) and the device can only track data by trip and not fill up. This would make the reported results less than accurate.
As to the reporting and description of of CEL messages, they appear to be very basic and the device will not report other faults. I'll stick with my VCDS for scans (and mods) and one of the inexpensive/free fuel apps for fuel use tracking.
Yeah, it's not a panacea. I got it as a early beta/pre-order for half it's normal price and I used it on a Toyota Camry for a while. So i was just curious if it'd work on my A5 now that I have it.

Right now, it can't detect an ignition so it doesn't know the car is running and won't set up. I didn't feel like messing with it, so I pulled it off until I'm not trying to plug it in before I head to a meeting.