Wheels & Tires Discussion Discussion forum for all questions and topics regarding wheels and tires

Recommend all seasons for Brooklyn-based allroad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:33 AM
KDL
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend all seasons for Brooklyn-based allroad?

I need new all seasons for my '02 AR 2.7T. I live in Brooklyn, only rarely have to deal with snow and ice, and am a reasonably aggressive but not performance-obsessed driver. Looking for good tires that will survive Brooklyn potholes, can handle light slush and snow and are reasonably quiet and non-squishy. My Yokohama Advan S4s really struggled in light snow a couple of weeks ago. Have my eye on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and Conti Extreme Contact DWS. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by KDL; 12-04-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by KDL
I need new all seasons for my '02 AR 2.7T. I live in Brooklyn, only rarely have to deal with snow and ice, and am a reasonably aggressive but not performance-obsessed driver. Looking for good tires that will survive Brooklyn potholes, can handle light slush and snow and are reasonably quiet and non-squishy. My Yokohama Advan S4s really struggled in light snow a couple of weeks ago. Have my eye on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and Conti Extreme Contact DWS. Many thanks in advance.
I had Contis on my Q5 and they worked ok - never lost traction but never felt confident in them so after one winter I put snows on and use the Contis as my summer tires and they have been great.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Former Vendor

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 is only fair at best in snow and ice but has outstanding handling and steering response for an all-season tire. The Conti DWS has some of the best winter traction we've experience out of a UHP all-season tire but has slower steering response than most others in its category.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...ires/index.jsp
Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 AM
KDL
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack.com
The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 is only fair at best in snow and ice but has outstanding handling and steering response for an all-season tire. The Conti DWS has some of the best winter traction we've experience out of a UHP all-season tire but has slower steering response than most others in its category.

Tires http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...ires/index.jsp
Thanks, Gary. What would you recommend? There are other contenders, too, such as Pirelli Zero Nero M&S. Looking for good handling, ability to deal with ice and snow better than my Yokohama Advans, and durability on the Brooklyn streets -- had read somewhere that the softer sidewalls of the Contis could be an issue because of that. Can you elaborate on the steering response issue and what that really means practically?
Old 12-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Former Vendor

Slower steering response simply means that the DWS response more slowly to steering inputs. It is not a measure of the durability of tire.

The next best we've found for winter traction in this category is the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric A/S.