Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

2014 Q5 Remote Start?

Old 10-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stash64
I personally don't understand the need for remote start. If you live in a cold climate, you should be accustomed to the cold and toughen up a little. It takes all of 5-10 minutes for most cars (when driving, not idling) to heat up enough to also heat the interior. If you can't deal with those 5-10 minutes, it is time to move South. Same thing goes for heated seats.

When did we Yankees become such pansies... it certainly did not start with the WWII generation.
Yeah, I guess we should let our 4 month old deal with the ice cold car. He should have toughened up by now to these brutal NE winter winds. What an ignorant statement!
Old 10-18-2013, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spijun
Of course everything in the world can steal.

I'm not talking about the alarm system, but the system of protection that has every Audi in the world.
Not the same system in the Audi, BMW, Mercedes......
Look at the statistics of stolen cars and compare Audi and BMW or Mercedes
Alarms from all manufacturers are pretty much the same. give or take a feature here and there. They are deterrents. If an experienced car thief wants your car they'll get it.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dnajar
Yeah, I guess we should let our 4 month old deal with the ice cold car. He should have toughened up by now to these brutal NE winter winds. What an ignorant statement!
Good grief, that kid has already had 4 months to toughen up, how long is it going to take? He may never be a football player...lol...
Old 10-21-2013, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Remote Start - Arghh.

Why do I want a Remote start? I just paid a bunch of money for this car, it has every other luxury in the world. Am I not entitled to pay for other options that I would like to have on MY vehicle? I paid for the car, right? I simply wanted to know if anyone else had dealt with this issue. If my 2013 Yukon Denali had it and my 2014 Infiniti QX56 had it installed after the fact, don't you think I would like like to have it in the Q5 as well?

CT may only be cold for about 4 months and I park this car outside. I would simply like to Remote Start the vehicle via the push of a button because I am too lazy to go outside and push the button on the console.

Is it really necessary to digress into other issues that you may think or not think I have? Very childish to say the least. I guess when you have the jack to buy whatever you want and you would like to have certain options available to your luxury lifestyle, people get jealous. Maybe I should buy a bigger house with more property and build a bigger "Stable" so all of my cars are equally warm.

To those of you that give reasonable replies, I thank you.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dnajar
Are you serious ? What did people do before remote start was available. I am the second oldest of 9 in my family and all my little brothers and sisters did just fine without remote start or even pre-heating the car.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by stash64
Are you serious ? What did people do before remote start was available. I am the second oldest of 9 in my family and all my little brothers and sisters did just fine without remote start or even pre-heating the car.
They had to go out to start the car and then waited inside until the car was warm.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

To those making snide comments, it's possible to express points of view while remaining civil. Chill.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a remote starter which was installed by the dealer. It's a Viper and has a range of 1.5 km.

I use it for about 5 min, which is enough to get the seat toasty. BTW, the Q5 has a fuel consumption rate reading at idle (in L/hour) and it comes in at about 1.8 L/h, which means that for a 5 min idle, it uses a whole 0.15 L or about $0.20 of gas.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

my friend works as professional installer. he just did install on 2014 q5 with remote access and push button with iPhone controller.. so i know it can be done..

do i want to risk it? not really....
Old 11-06-2013, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Glad to hear you are able to install a viper remote start. I have been puzzled by the lack of this options on European OEMs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Q5 Remote Start?