Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Panoramic sun roof Vs 21" SQ5 Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Something to think about:

The 21" OE wheels can be added later - either through the replica route, or
actual OE wheels from a motivated seller/wrecker.

The pano roof can NEVER be added later.

To me, it sounds like you like the idea of the pano roof + the 21" OE wheels, but can't justify the initial upfront cost of both.
If I were you, I'd go pano and consider the wheels later.... at least you'll have the option to.
Totally agreed, nice thinking.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Given the either/or question posed of the OP, there is no question - pano roof.

As others have said, you can always add 21" wheels later. I use my pano roof all the time - it's superb for venting heat in the cabin, and the mesh covering allows for ventilation and air flow while still providing shade. I have no idea why more car manufacturers don't do this. It also doesn't cut down on headroom much given that the glass opens outside the car.

Pano roof all the way.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Given the either/or question posed of the OP, there is no question - pano roof.

As others have said, you can always add 21" wheels later. I use my pano roof all the time - it's superb for venting heat in the cabin, and the mesh covering allows for ventilation and air flow while still providing shade. I have no idea why more car manufacturers don't do this. It also doesn't cut down on headroom much given that the glass opens outside the car.

Pano roof all the way.
+1

JaXeN offers a view that gives some flexibility on our options. As some have done, adding a ceramic film can assist with heat transfer/insulation issues.

It makes the cabin feel larger not just for myself but for the passengers that can stare at the clouds, raindrops, stars, etc and as mwaarna said it adds a lot of light (and spatial perspective) in the cabin which I like, but that's just a preference.

Originally Posted by rdA4WtQ5
From an engineering standpoint, the pano roof makes the car heavier with the weight up high, structurally less stiff, less headroom, more complicated and much more fragile. Never heard of a steel roof shattering or getting stuck open. It is a cool option but not for me. I get enough motoring in the wind with the wife's cab, the motorcycle or race boat.
Some people don't have the boat or motorcycle incentive so not relevant to the OP's original question. As for the engineering standpoint, can you please present some engineering/physics data how the added weight will have an impact to CG? How much stiffness is impacted and how much of an impact to body twist when cornering? What is the delta for these parameters? As for shattering, what are the facts? Some say it was a bad batch of improperly tempered glass and the issue is now resolved so now there is an acceptable risk? Again, data please.

I do however agree in reduced reliability due to more moving parts and potential leaks down the road. This applies to all moonroofed cars.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JHGold
+1

JaXeN offers a view that gives some flexibility on our options. As some have done, adding a ceramic film can assist with heat transfer/insulation issues.

It makes the cabin feel larger not just for myself but for the passengers that can stare at the clouds, raindrops, stars, etc and as mwaarna said it adds a lot of light (and spatial perspective) in the cabin which I like, but that's just a preference.

Some people don't have the boat or motorcycle incentive so not relevant to the OP's original question. As for the engineering standpoint, can you please present some engineering/physics data how the added weight will have an impact to CG? How much stiffness is impacted and how much of an impact to body twist when cornering? What is the delta for these parameters? As for shattering, what are the facts? Some say it was a bad batch of improperly tempered glass and the issue is now resolved so now there is an acceptable risk? Again, data please.

I do however agree in reduced reliability due to more moving parts and potential leaks down the road. This applies to all moonroofed cars.

You're kidding right.
The pano roof assembly is heavier than a piece of sheet metal. It is up high = CG higher.
Cutting a huge hole in an otherwise connected structure makes it structurally weaker.
Try your search feature, many 2012 pano roofs shattered in cold weather.
Not sure why you need data from me when all statements are obvious. The difference between a senior engineer and a junior engineer is the ability recognize design characteristics without the data available. Is a Q5 with a pano roof have the CG low enough? Is the roof structure with a pano roof strong enough? Have pano roofs been known to shatter Yes to all three.
Is without the pano roof structurally stronger, CG lower (and vehicle lighter) and can't shatter. Yes to all three again.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I really love the roof but I guess it's up to how much you are paying to get it.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You're kidding right.
The pano roof assembly is heavier than a piece of sheet metal. It is up high = CG higher.
Cutting a huge hole in an otherwise connected structure makes it structurally weaker.
Not sure why you need data from me when all statements are obvious. The difference between a senior engineer and a junior engineer is the ability recognize design characteristics without the data available. Is a Q5 with a pano roof have the CG low enough? Is the roof structure with a pano roof strong enough? Have pano roofs been known to shatter Yes to all three.
Is without the pano roof structurally stronger, CG lower (and vehicle lighter) and can't shatter. Yes to all three again.
You didn't quite answer my question, what is the measurable impact? Then again the structural statement may be incorrect, the problem with some engineers, senior or junior, is in making violated assumptions on a design without fully understanding the design aspects. This usually happens with silo thinking. As we move towards design complexity and evolving vehicular designs, we start to rely on substantiation with systematic viewpoints.

In other words, it doesn't matter if there is a huge hole in the roof, what we are looking at is the way the load is applied. In this SQ5 design case which may be different than other trims, models and brands, do you know exactly how the stresses are transmitted?

On the CG analysis, keep in mind the SQ already weighs nearly 4200lbs so if we assume 85lbs weight difference between the roof options, then we are looking at approx 2% difference. How does this affect the SQ's CG with 255 tires and what's the approx impact threshold of CG changes? In a fully loaded, 80,000lb semi truck, the rollover threshold decreases by 0.005g for each 1 inch increase in CG. Cornering stiffness is negligible as well, yes? So if you ask does a non-roof option lower CG? Sure, by 0.0001g? I might as well reduce my 160lb frame with my big headed weight down a 1/10th of inch on my seat and call it even.

Again, my search tells me the tempered glass on 2012 Q's were not manufactured to specs (bad batch) and there was a recall. This is not a design flaw. This issue is resolved, to my knowledge.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

The Q5 has had the panorama roof since 2009 in the US. There was a brief production problem that was resolved. If someone has concern about the higher center of gravity in their SQ5 due to the pano roof, they should not equip the vehicle that way. But if center of gravity is so important, then why not buy a S4 or S6.

If you like the pano roof, and you like the SQ5, it makes sense to get the SQ5 with the pano roof. FWIW.

Dennis
Old 09-25-2013, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JHGold
You didn't quite answer my question, what is the measurable impact? Then again the structural statement may be incorrect, the problem with some engineers, senior or junior, is in making violated assumptions on a design without fully understanding the design aspects. This usually happens with silo thinking. As we move towards design complexity and evolving vehicular designs, we start to rely on substantiation with systematic viewpoints.

In other words, it doesn't matter if there is a huge hole in the roof, what we are looking at is the way the load is applied. In this SQ5 design case which may be different than other trims, models and brands, do you know exactly how the stresses are transmitted?

On the CG analysis, keep in mind the SQ already weighs nearly 4200lbs so if we assume 85lbs weight difference between the roof options, then we are looking at approx 2% difference. How does this affect the SQ's CG with 255 tires and what's the approx impact threshold of CG changes? In a fully loaded, 80,000lb semi truck, the rollover threshold decreases by 0.005g for each 1 inch increase in CG. Cornering stiffness is negligible as well, yes? So if you ask does a non-roof option lower CG? Sure, by 0.0001g? I might as well reduce my 160lb frame with my big headed weight down a 1/10th of inch on my seat and call it even.

Again, my search tells me the tempered glass on 2012 Q's were not manufactured to specs (bad batch) and there was a recall. This is not a design flaw. This issue is resolved, to my knowledge.
Let's agree to disagree. If your understanding of physics isn't up to snuff that's fine with me. Please enjoy your pano roof and SQ5.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys, I spoke to my friend who has a range rover and he’s response was that every passenger in his car loves the pano roof but to him it was a waste of money, his reasoning was it simply gets to hot to enjoy having the glass open, I even called my mates in the car tint industry and he mentioned they go as far as installing vinyl wrap to cover the glass entirely to stop the heat penetrating inside the cabin…. Now that would be seriously annoying!! Having a cab M3 I very rarely drive the car with the top down unless it's in the afternoon on a nice evening I actually can’t think of a better drive. However on the east coast of aus it gets pretty hot, we’re in spring and it’s already 33 degrees, as an everyday drivers car I think I will be much happier with my choice in the 21” wheels. To me any Audi can have a pano roof but only a handful of them has it’s own pair of shoes designed specifically for that car. As for well you can always add the wheels but you can't cut a hole, I'm buying this car for my self customised for me hence the 5 month wait, i'm not interested in what suits me must suits others for resale purposeses... But I completely understand when people say they won't even look at an SQ5 unless it has the pano roof. Guess I'll deal with that when the time to sell arises Thank you soooo much for your feedback everyone truly an excellent site and very highly recommended
Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Good luck with order, mate and we hope to see you back here often - and with plenty of pics when the car arrives.

Remember, many of us will be seriously jealous with your lowered machine and that wonderful biturbo TDI.

Steve

Quick Reply: Panoramic sun roof Vs 21" SQ5 Wheels