A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

DIY TCM/TCU replacement for CVT 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default DIY TCM/TCU replacement for CVT 3.0

I have been searching for days and there so much info, but not really one that has a DIY on to replace the TCM, it seems like people go to a dealer or shop. I want to tackle this myself but really want to detail info like do I have to drain the tranny fluid. So any help would be great. Thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking for the same information in the different forums and have not found much. I did find the following links with information and services to rebuild the TCU. I will be doing the repair myself shortly and will document the process. Neither one of the repair links specifies my 05 A4 but they will still do the repair.

http://www.bba-reman.com/docs/MAR10ShiftPointers.pdf - Artical

http://xemodex.com/technologyimprove...udi-tcm-repair - Repair Link

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/P...px?category=46 - Repair Link
Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Were you able to remove your old TCM? I'd like to replace mine, but am not exactly sure how to remove.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lx4life
I have been searching for days and there so much info, but not really one that has a DIY on to replace the TCM, it seems like people go to a dealer or shop. I want to tackle this myself but really want to detail info like do I have to drain the tranny fluid. So any help would be great. Thanks
I finished the TCM repair / re-install at a total cost of $875.00. XeModeX in Canada repaired my TCM and it took less than three days to complete the repair. I pulled the TCM and shipped it on day one, they received, repaired and shipped on day two, I received it on the morning of the third day and installed it that afternoon.
Filling the transmission wasn't an issue either. I used a gear fluid oil pump (Item #40714 harbour freight) to fill it. The tube fits snugly into the filler hole and didn't allow any overflow.
A new gasket was $10.00 from the dealer and I'm cheap so I reused the original bolts without a problem.
It's running fine and no more flashing "PRNDS"
Yes you do have to drain the fluid and remove the rear cover of the transmission. Get a factory manual the details the procedures but here is a general idea of what needs to be done.
1) Drain the fluid - Requires special torx style socket
2) remove transmission mount & cross member - slide it out of the way, the exhaust doesn't allow it to be completely removed.
3) remove the rear transmission cover (12 bolts) discard old gasket
4) remove mounting screws for TCM and pull TCM straight back to remove.
5) have the TCM repaired and reinstall
6) Install rear cover with new gasket
7) re-fill transmission with new CVT Fluid.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the info. Thinking of going through Module Repair Pro on ebay for $350. Has great reviews, so I'm hoping they do they same thing. +$70 for CVT fluid + gasket... maybe get by with only spending ~$450 or less?

How did yours get to $875 when it's only $500 for Xemodex?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by akvanden
Thanks for the info. Thinking of going through Module Repair Pro on ebay for $350. Has great reviews, so I'm hoping they do they same thing. +$70 for CVT fluid + gasket... maybe get by with only spending ~$450 or less?

How did yours get to $875 when it's only $500 for Xemodex?
$499 CMU repair
$165 CMU Express shipping
$12 Rear cover Gasket - from dealer
$60 CVT fluid (6 qts)
plus I spent $150+/- on a socket set for the filler plug, new rear cover bolts that I didn't use and various shop / cleaning supplies.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you need to reset or retrain the tcu at all? I thought one can't even replace the cvt fluid without a VAG computer which I don't have.
Also, do you think it is the same procedure on a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bavarican
Did you need to reset or retrain the tcu at all? I thought one can't even replace the cvt fluid without a VAG computer which I don't have.
Also, do you think it is the same procedure on a 2006 Audi A4 2.0T?
No, no reset needed. You can replace the fluid without, but technically you're supposed to know the tranny fluid temp to ensure you fill to the correct level.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 05 A4
I have been looking for the same information in the different forums and have not found much. I did find the following links with information and services to rebuild the TCU. I will be doing the repair myself shortly and will document the process. Neither one of the repair links specifies my 05 A4 but they will still do the repair.

http://www.bba-reman.com/docs/MAR10ShiftPointers.pdf - Artical

Xemodex Inc Technology Improved United States | Specializes in the manufacturing and re-manufacturing of electronic components for European automobiles - Repair Link

Transmission ECU | Audi | Online catalogue | United Kingdom | BBA Reman - Repair Link

Thanks a lot for this valuable information 05 A4. I am having PRNDS flashing issue with VCDS fault pointing to TCM. Will be doing this repair sometime soon.

One question, do you know which type are the bolts (ZXN, torx, etc) of the TCM?