A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Should I get BG flushes for my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get BG flushes for my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro?

I have a 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro with 58,000km on it in good shape (although vaccume tubes have been cracking and needing replacement and I've had various seal leaks that I have been spending a fair bit of money fixing) and I took it to a new mechanics today where they were hard selling me on BG flushes.

Now, these guys seem okay. It doesn't seem like those Jiffy Lube scams that you see on NBC (youtube it) where they flush cars that shouldn't be flushed or sell you services they don't actually perform, etc...but after watching that I'm a little concerned about flushing anything.

Since the car is under 60,000km, I would qualify for the BG 100% warranty, although I'm not sure what the fine print is...

But I digress, my main question is -- should I risk doing a BG flush (drive line, brake system, power steering, cooling system, transmission) or do you think it might end up making things worse?

My secondary question is -- if something does break, does BG really cover it 100%? Or is it kind of like an impossibility of proving it was stolen (like those Kryptonite locks that say they insure your bike if it is stolen but that they require you to show them the cut lock and a bunch of other stuff).

Thanks
Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

What is the problem that you are trying to fix with the BG flush?
If there is no problem, why do you think you need the flush. Normal fluid change schedule has always been fine for our audi.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Aro2220
I have a 2002 A4 1.8T Quattro with 58,000km on it in good shape (although vaccume tubes have been cracking and needing replacement and I've had various seal leaks that I have been spending a fair bit of money fixing) and I took it to a new mechanics today where they were hard selling me on BG flushes.

Now, these guys seem okay. It doesn't seem like those Jiffy Lube scams that you see on NBC (youtube it) where they flush cars that shouldn't be flushed or sell you services they don't actually perform, etc...but after watching that I'm a little concerned about flushing anything.

Since the car is under 60,000km, I would qualify for the BG 100% warranty, although I'm not sure what the fine print is...

But I digress, my main question is -- should I risk doing a BG flush (drive line, brake system, power steering, cooling system, transmission) or do you think it might end up making things worse?

My secondary question is -- if something does break, does BG really cover it 100%? Or is it kind of like an impossibility of proving it was stolen (like those Kryptonite locks that say they insure your bike if it is stolen but that they require you to show them the cut lock and a bunch of other stuff).

Thanks
100% agree with 4driver4, plus those flushing products can damage internal seals.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Apparently BG products has some kind of a protection plan...so if anything happens to your transmission after a transmission flush, they will cover $4,000 worth or something like that.

I haven't been able to find the fine print for this protection plan though, so I don't know what the details are...but from what I've been reading, it sounds like you have to keep up your regular maintenance and I don't know if that means getting flushes every x kilometers, etc.

Since my car is a 2002 it doesn't have a warranty anymore but since it is under 60,000km I would qualify for 100% of the lifetime bg warranty...

The transmission does kick back a little when I am going from 1st to 2nd and starting out from a stop. It's nothing major.

I've also had a leak in the drive shaft. I think it's leaking differential fluid --very slow leak. I've had an audi dealer look at it and even they said it's slow and I won't have to fix it for a long time.

So, that is why I am wondering about this product -- unlike other flushes which I would avoid, these guys actually offer a pretty big warranty. I just don't know all the details so I'm trying to find out if anyone else has had experience with this.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Guru

Apparently BG products has some kind of a protection plan.
Good luck collecting on that if something happens.

The transmission does kick back a little when I am going from 1st to 2nd and starting out from a stop. It's nothing major.
Change the trans fluid and filter. No flushing.

I've also had a leak in the drive shaft. I think it's leaking differential fluid --very slow leak. I've had an audi dealer look at it and even they said it's slow and I won't have to fix it for a long time.
Sooner or later it will stop leaking. I'd address this soon. Have you at least been checking/topping up the center diff oil?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That BG stuff is a bunch of marketing. Dont fall for it. Just keep up on normal service intervals with quality OEM approved fluids.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
That BG stuff is a bunch of marketing. Dont fall for it. Just keep up on normal service intervals with quality OEM approved fluids.
I asked my mechanic to show me the fine print before I commit to any of that...since I really do believe MOST guarantees are like that -- impossible to collect on.

I've brought hte car to the audi dealership and if they didn't top up the fluid they probably had a reason. I don't suspect foul play.

As for changing the transmission fluid -- I can't. The A4 Quattro has a completely sealed, 'as per audi' never needs to be changed, can't change, transmission oil. I know, it was weird to me too but it's not really something that can be changed very easily.

I will see if I can find the fine print. I asked my mechanic NOT to do the flush --- which they said they were going to do anyway...so that kind of scared me...hopefully they haven't yet...

And yes, I will continue using OEM fluids and doing the regular maintenance.

What did you mean by sooner or later it will stop leaking? UNfortunately, I've authorized the mechanic to fix the leak.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for changing the transmission fluid -- I can't. The A4 Quattro has a completely sealed, 'as per audi' never needs to be changed, can't change, transmission oil. I know, it was weird to me too but it's not really something that can be changed very easily.
nonsense

These fluids CAN and SHOULD be changed if you want your transmission to last. Everybody on this forum does it. Audi will charge you $400 to do it, but even the dealer can do it.

I will see if I can find the fine print. I asked my mechanic NOT to do the flush --- which they said they were going to do anyway...so that kind of scared me...hopefully they haven't yet...
Find a mechanic you're comfortable with. That means asking "stupid" questions and getting answers for them.

UNfortunately, I've authorized the mechanic to fix the leak.
nothing wrong with fixing the leak.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Tech Guru

As for changing the transmission fluid -- I can't. The A4 Quattro has a completely sealed, 'as per audi' never needs to be changed, can't change, transmission oil.
LOL. Still believe in Santa Claus too?

Auto trans fluid can and should be changed every 60-75k miles. I guess you could say that the trans is sealed...until you remove the drain or fill plugs. In that regard, I guess the engine is sealed too.

As for the lifetime fluid comment, that is 100% true. If you never change the fluid it will last the lifetime of the trans...just like engine oil. I guarantee that if you never change your engine oil it will last the lifetime of the engine. ;-)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason why shops push the "fluid service" is because the chemical dealers reps (BG, Wynns, MOC, etc.)give a cash kickback to the service writers and technicians. Service writers get $5 for selling the service and the techs get a couple of bucks. That's why the service costs an extra $40 over just changing fluids. The only thing that gets cleaned with these services is the customer's pocket. Just change the fluids as Audi recommends.

Quick Reply: Should I get BG flushes for my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro?