Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Time from order to factory schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Time from order to factory schedule?

Ordered my A5 2.5 weeks ago and the dealer says the factory has not scheduled production. I will feel better once I know the car is "on the books" for production. How long does this process take?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the rough estimate that i've seen is a February type arrival date. Not sure on the exact breakdown of the "on the books date" but know around this time is tough do to the holiday/mandatory shutdowns
Old 11-17-2009, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by prhime
I think the rough estimate that i've seen is a February type arrival date. Not sure on the exact breakdown of the "on the books date" but know around this time is tough do to the holiday/mandatory shutdowns
I'm actually not in a hurry to get the car as my current lease expires Feb 20. I'm concerned with the allocation system and them subbing my order for another order where they might have a better margin on that deal. I'll feel better when I know I'm in the que
Old 11-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 7 weeks production + 6-7 weeks delivery to SoCal

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Ordered my A5 2.5 weeks ago and the dealer says the factory has not scheduled production. I will feel better once I know the car is "on the books" for production. How long does this process take?
I ordered my A5 cabrio (with quattro) on Sept 28, and on Nov. 10 my dealer notified me that the car was built and had its VIN. Ship date is Nov. 20 with expected delivery in Los Angeles approximately January 1. Depending on the configuration (quattro, cabrio, etc., I think the manufacturing dates can vary, as the assembly lines are set up to build certain types of cars in batches.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SILVERLAKER
I ordered my A5 cabrio (with quattro) on Sept 28, and on Nov. 10 my dealer notified me that the car was built and had its VIN. Ship date is Nov. 20 with expected delivery in Los Angeles approximately January 1. Depending on the configuration (quattro, cabrio, etc., I think the manufacturing dates can vary, as the assembly lines are set up to build certain types of cars in batches.
All I'm looking for is an acknowledgement they have the order and have it scheduled to be built
Old 11-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I'm looking for is an acknowledgement they have the order and have it scheduled to be built
It all depends on when your dealer has an open allocation. If your dealer had an open allocation when you ordered, your car would be in the Factory Order Bank. At some point the allocation closes and the order can no longer be changed - up until this point the order can be changed or canceled and so a production date is not scheduled.

Around the time the allocation closes, your car gets scheduled for production. (Keep in mind the actual production week can sometimes slip by a week or so.) I believe the car then shows Production Stock status.

Only your dealer can tell you whether your order has an open allocation (likely) or if it is still waiting for an allocation slot to open (in which case status will show IS Order Bank). You can always request a copy of the order status page from AccessAudi which will show status, and any production dates if they've been assigned.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scottacus
It all depends on when your dealer has an open allocation. If your dealer had an open allocation when you ordered, your car would be in the Factory Order Bank. At some point the allocation closes and the order can no longer be changed - up until this point the order can be changed or canceled and so a production date is not scheduled.

Around the time the allocation closes, your car gets scheduled for production. (Keep in mind the actual production week can sometimes slip by a week or so.) I believe the car then shows Production Stock status.

Only your dealer can tell you whether your order has an open allocation (likely) or if it is still waiting for an allocation slot to open (in which case status will show IS Order Bank). You can always request a copy of the order status page from AccessAudi which will show status, and any production dates if they've been assigned.
My dealer is the second largest Audi dealer in the state so I assume they have allocation. I know it's only been 3 weeks since order but I would hope they have a scheduled date soon. Am I being unreasonable?
Old 11-18-2009, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer is the second largest Audi dealer in the state so I assume they have allocation. I know it's only been 3 weeks since order but I would hope they have a scheduled date soon. Am I being unreasonable?
That's not exactly how it works. All allocations open and close on one date in the middle of each month. An allocation is usually open for one month before it closes - so an allocation for February delivery may open in mid-November and close in mid-December. Whether you order on November 16 or December 14, the allocation will close on the same day and then the car will be scheduled for production.

Also - keep in mind if you are looking at a delivery around February, then your car may be produced around the time of the holiday factory shutdown in Germany. If Audi is sorting out how they are going to assign orders to production around the factory shutdown, this might add a bit of time.

I also wouldn't assume there is an open allocation - if for example the dealer gets 1 allocation for a 6MT 2.0T A5 that month and someone happens to order before you, you could be bumped to the next month. Allocations are based on the combination of model, engine,and transmission choice, so sometimes it just works out that there isn't an open slot until the next month.

Since you have a lease end coming up you should probably call your dealer and get an exact status update.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

I got lucky, my dealer had a Ibis S5 put in order with no one to claim it. So once I put my down payment, he just tweeked it to my specs and from order date to delivery date 8-9 weeks.
Old 11-20-2009, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I decided around September 21st that I wanted to order a car. The dealer had one on their allocation. Production was scheduled for the week of Nov. 16th. By Wednesday Nov. 18th, it was built and waiting to be loaded on the ship. The delivery to the dealer is expected the week of December 7th. To sum it up, it will be about 11 weeks.

Quick Reply: Time from order to factory schedule?