Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rain sensor question

Old 10-31-2013, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rain sensor question

Good day folks!
Loving my '14 Q5, PP, 3.0.....just one question, how much rain does it take on the windshield to make the rain sensor kick in? It rained a bit the other day, very lightly, but enough to cover the windshield with light drops and the wipers didn't go.
Any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just thinking the opposite the other day - mine go one with the slightest amount of water on the windshield - maybe the sensor is adjustable in the MMI car setting somewhere?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

All I could find in the MMI is either on or off.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

This is from A4, but the same system in the Q5

Name:  ScreenShot231_zps1b17ecdc.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  97.2 KB
Old 10-31-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Awesome, thanks!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
I was just thinking the opposite the other day - ?
+1. Mine turned on the other day from some overspray when the car in front of me had the windshield washer turned on and I got the smallest amount of overspray. I dialed back the sensitivity. Steve
Old 10-31-2013, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

After having mine for 6 months I think the sensitivity varies quite a bit between how much light is available and how that light shines on the windshield. I have found that sometimes the thing is overly sensistive and will wipe with barely anything on it and then there have been times when I thought it wasn't turned on because I could hardly see out with the amount of rain on the windshield and it had not wiped once yet. I have noticed if I manually do a wipe by moving the lever all the way down and then move it back to the rain sensor position it takes over very nicely.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The rain sensor sensitivity is controlled on the little toggle step switch on the top surface of the wiper setting stalk. Location "A" in the picture shown in the earlier post
Old 10-31-2013, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kobi's Q
After having mine for 6 months I think the sensitivity varies quite a bit between how much light is available and how that light shines on the windshield. I have found that sometimes the thing is overly sensistive and will wipe with barely anything on it and then there have been times when I thought it wasn't turned on because I could hardly see out with the amount of rain on the windshield and it had not wiped once yet. I have noticed if I manually do a wipe by moving the lever all the way down and then move it back to the rain sensor position it takes over very nicely.
I find I have to give a single manual wipe when first getting in the car.
I put it down to there being a film of water to start rather than drops for it to count and decide to wipe. Once there is a clear screen drops are easily counted from them on.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q5 TDI
I was just thinking the opposite the other day - mine go one with the slightest amount of water on the windshield - maybe the sensor is adjustable in the MMI car setting somewhere?
Me too. Even the least sensitive setting is still too sensitive IMO.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rain sensor question