Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

0-60 time

Old 02-26-2014, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys worried about reliability of your car tuned? I have never heard of this chipwerke piggyback until now, is it as good as giac tune or apr? Is it reliable? Are you still running it on the car? Any problems?
Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
"A supercharger provides a fixed amount of boost at a given RPM, so it will loose power at altitude, unless you adjust the speed i.e. pulleys. Superchargers where used on WW2 planes. They would kick-in with a clutch at altitude.

A turbo will automatically compensate for altitude, if the boost control is set for absolute pressue (most are). So a turbo, will actually over-boost at altitude to maintain the same pressure in the intake manifold as at sea-level. So a turbo car will make the closer to the same hp at altitude as at sea level, if the turbo is big enough. At least, it would provide some altitude compensation".
Good info. I wonder if there is a difference between turbo charging and super charging with regards to ambient heat sensitivity/heat soaking? It seems the supercharger might have an advantage over the turbo in hot weather since it is feeding in relatively cool outside air. My current turbo is much slower in August than in December.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:47 AM
Banned

From the aircraft side of things, even though there's never hot ambient air at altitude.

http://flighttraining.aopa.org/stude...ial/turbo.html

"Turbochargers increase a piston engine's critical altitude, which is the maximum altitude at which an engine can maintain its full, rated horsepower. Because the maximum horsepower of a normally aspirated (nonturbocharged) engine is achieved in standard, sea level conditions, sea level is this engine's critical altitude. "

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/eng...rger-2355.html

"The Turbocharger was best at altitude for several reasons:..."

"Superchargers (mechanical) are geared so there speed is in direct control of the engine speed. The fixed relationship limits the quantity of air pulled in."

Originally Posted by vizwiz
Good info. I wonder if there is a difference between turbo charging and super charging with regards to ambient heat sensitivity/heat soaking? It seems the supercharger might have an advantage over the turbo in hot weather since it is feeding in relatively cool outside air. My current turbo is much slower in August than in December.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by vizwiz
I don't think there would be much difference, at least with the A6 in this regard, as both the turbo 2.0T and supercharged 3.0T A6 engines have intercoolers which cool the ambient temp to what's required by each system. Can't speak to your current car though.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Reliability is a bit of a concern but a well engineered system should be fine. I sc'd my Toyota 3.4l that had over 100k miles on it and it was really never intended to be a boosted motor. I don't own it anymore but several friends have owned it. It is still running fine today with about 170k. The injectors maxed out at near redline and getting the fuel pressure right was a pain. It added about 30% HP though. The Magnusson unit was very noisy at idle due to the straight cut gears.

The Audi unit is pretty quiet but sometimes you can hear that wonderful grumble. I miss the wonderful whine though. I will likely go with the stasis tune due to the warranty it provides. More money but it also does a few other things in the remap.

I think the chip werke has some good qualities. Inexpensive and easy to add or remove from the car.
The c7 simos 8.5 seems impervious to unisettings/lemiwinks. I feel like I've tried all the tricks to get it working to no avail.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heat soke affects both systems, intercoolers or not temperature is a HUGE factor.
That was the next modification advised by the shop in my car, I don't track the car so I didn't do it.
The cooler the air is the denser it is and therefore more oxygen molecules.
I think the supercharger is more affected than a turbo.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
I miss the wonderful whine though.
Put on an intake with an open conical filter. It will whine. In fact, the 3.0T seems to whine a LOT more than I'm used to, even at part throttle.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by forza1976
I can certainly attest to this as I ran my previous completely stock 2011 S4 at Bandimere Speedway in Colorado (6000 ft actual elevation) and when I moved to the East Bay I went up to Sacramento drag way and ran there as well. For example, the S4 at Bandimere ran 13.954@100.67mph with conditions that were pretty much crap (DA of 8564 ft above sea level, link http://www.dragtimes.com/Audi-S4-Timeslip-23129.html) and then ran at Sac (still completely stock on even worse CA gas) with a very very favorable DA of -579 ft and ran 13.027@104.96mph (link http://www.dragtimes.com/Audi-S4-Timeslip-24917.html)

Clearly different conditions but the speed to the car was immediately noticeable when I was driving it out from Colorado back in 2012 and when I was driving down i80 through Sac that morning I couldn't believe how well it pulled down the highway. Anyway it felt like a new car, I am sold on sea level now.

Anyway, those were my findings.
With 9,000 feet difference in Density Altitude a normally aspirated car would be down 29% in HP. Since you are only off 4MPH and less than 1-second in time, it looks like the Blower is helping to keep your HP up quite a bit at high altitude. Comments?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is what I got! Turned off esc left foot brake right foot gas and launch lol. I am stock besides my awe intake.
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Banned

Thats pretty good. I checked with the guys at Motor Trend, and to get their 4.6 second time, they did the following: MMI to Dynamic, TCS off, Trans in Sport, Brake Torque to 3000rpm, let her go.

Wish I knew how they managed to brake torque to 3000. Once I hit 1800, it starts pulling at the brakes hard. The car doesn't want to stay in place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 0-60 time