Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

1TB of music by connecting up a Seagate HD

Old 02-18-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spijun
From Audi:
...two SDHC card reader (up to 32GB), both with MP3, WMA and AAC-compatible; dynamic station list.....
There you go... AAC works.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Yes, I tested it.
FLAC files don't even show up in the MMI.
good to know. thanks.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Further info...

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907
Old 08-20-2014, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I currently use my old iPod touch which is dated to probably be the first or second touch iPod users! So far seems like the iPod touch works well. I was considering a large portable hd... However I was concerned with if the portable one works or if getting into a ssd potable drive would be better in the long run?
Old 08-21-2014, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by imdakine1
I currently use my old iPod touch which is dated to probably be the first or second touch iPod users! So far seems like the iPod touch works well. I was considering a large portable hd... However I was concerned with if the portable one works or if getting into a ssd potable drive would be better in the long run?
I would think that an SSD would tolerate the constant movement & vibration of a moving vehicle much better than a spinning hard drive - but at significantly more cost. Even "Portable" spinning hard drives are designed to sit on a stationary hard surface connected to the computer. It's when they are in use with the platters moving that they are vulnerable. When they are unplugged the heads are "parked" & safe to move.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The iPod touch works great and I'm assuming an sd or sdhc would be easy options. Does anyone know how to transfer select albums, songs, or playlists from iTunes to an sd card on a Mac?
Old 08-21-2014, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've got a newer Mac - plug the SD card into the back of your iMac, or into your laptop - otherwise you'll need a USB SD card reader.

Create a folder on the SD card.
Name it whatever you like.
Highlight the songs you want in iTunes, and drag them to that folder.
Note that *.mp3 & *.m4a songs will play fine - artwork included. However *.m4p songs will not play or show up in your folder in MMI.

Thats it.
Shoot me a message if you get stuck.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't drag songs directly from the iTunes app to the SD card; copy songs from the user/iTunes/iTunes Music folder. If you want them organized by albums., the folder structure on the SD card should be Artist/Album/Song
Old 08-22-2014, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about a newbie question, but I don't own a Q5 yet... Where is the USB port located in the Q5? Is it somewhere out of sight like glove box or under the arm rest so that the cable and the drive itself can stay out of sight?
Old 08-22-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My q5 TDI only came with the iPhone adaptor it is in the glovebox out of sight. When choosing the media source it will look for a cd or other source and will show the content including playlists on the mmi display. No need to touch the connected iPod or I'm assuming external HD. I haven't tried and sd card yet. The Bluetooth streaming works very easily as well.

I'm still new since I've only had my q5 since Aug 8th.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1TB of music by connecting up a Seagate HD