Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Could use some first-hand advice on a step-by-step upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could use some first-hand advice on a step-by-step upgrade.

I have owned and worked on many vehicles to date, but I'm a newbie to Audi.
I got a sweet deal on a repossessed a 2009 Audi Q5 Premium and I'm looking for some useful info. on boosting it a bit. I want to upgrade my factory 18" wheels to 20", and add spacers to give it a wider stance. I'm also thinking about copping an H&R suspension to lower it to European specs, as well as any ways to boost HP, and would greatly appreciate feedback.
I currently have 18" MSW wheels, but I find their size lacking. Considering Vossen or No.14 Gloss Black with Machined Face and Red Stripe Wheels by Fiero. I know how to do the measurement, but am looking for feedback from any who have done so. Any rubbing? Or, issues with cornering?
Old 09-24-2014, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum. There are many, many threads here dealing with wheels and tires. If you get the right size up front, you shouldn't need spacers.
As for power, you'll need to tell us which engine you have.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

2009 Audi Q5 Premium on the North American market offers only aspirated engine 3.2-liter. Forget on power boost engine not worth it because it is small gain strength (25-30 HP maximum )
Pay attention for this Carbon Build-up
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...817781/page30/
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...2852346/page9/

Last edited by spijun; 09-24-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

You could always build and add a custom turbo kit to the 3.2 and go with a stand alone fuel management system, but depending on your region's emission laws and your willingness to depart from anything resembling a stock engine it may or may not be an option for you.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by - B -
You could always build and add a custom turbo kit to the 3.2 and go with a stand alone fuel management system, but depending on your region's emission laws and your willingness to depart from anything resembling a stock engine it may or may not be an option for you.
True, but all modifications and parts costs $ 7-8k
Next problem is the old 6-speed gearboxes and ........................

Last edited by spijun; 09-25-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spijun
True, but all modifications and parts costs $ 8-9k
If done right it could and more than likely would be more than that.... One should lower the compression of the engine and build it to better accomadate the boost...., but during the rebuild one could also add a port and polish and other extras which quickly add up....it all depends on how serious the OP is, but at the end of the build the OP would have a brand new motor, which would be a beast....although, it would guzzle gas.... I have something similiar and it gets close to 10 mpg, but is really really fun.

You're also right about the transmission.... That would need to be beefed up as well, but so would everything else... For example, the cooling system and even the engine and transmission mounts would all have to be built to better accomadate the power.

Last edited by - B -; 09-25-2014 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi Q5 Upgrade

Thanx for the feedback, guys. IMHO, such a paltry gain of HP isn't worth that cost. I wish the repo was on a SQ5, but I can't really complain.
My final to-do-by-Spring list consists of: A VIS Racing Astek Body Kit (which I will paint myself), 20x8.5 Giovanna Dalar 5 Machined Black wheels (the offset is 25, so I figure I'll need spacers after all), a tail light tint, Powerstop drilled/slotted rotors (I laughed my *** off when I saw how much Brembo kits run), and I'll be painting the calipers red. I'm hoping it'll turn out how I'm envisioning it, or I may end up just selling it and gunning for a BMW X6 instead.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Old 10-15-2014, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I love the chrome fog light trim that I copped from China, so easy to install and distinctive.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah...I just noticed them and thought that they look unique.
Overall, it's a nice looking ride.

Quick Reply: Could use some first-hand advice on a step-by-step upgrade.