Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Steering/Turning noise at start...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering/Turning noise at start...

I tried to be a good boy and search the forums, so excuse me if this has already been discussed.

I'm noticing a grinding/stuttering type noise/vibration when turning from start on cold days. Steering is stiff initially then problem goes away. I assume that's due to a cold power steering or something similar?

I'm in Florida, so we're only talking 40-60 degree outside temps.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i would check the steering fluid resevoir to see if it's full and also look for bubbles. you may just need to do a proper fluid flush. while you are doing that, if there is a filter at the bottom of the resevoir, clean that up with some brake cleaner or similar. check the resevoir in week intervals and be sure the level doesn't go down again. if it does, take it in for a leak check.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Maybe what you hear vs. what you feel are two different things?

There is an engine/emissions component that runs in the first minute of so of start up that seems to make a fair racket. Maybe you are hearing that at the same time you are perceiving stiffer steering when cold?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a TSB for this a while back for older Q5s...should be able to find a thread on it.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzy
I tried to be a good boy and search the forums, so excuse me if this has already been discussed.

I'm noticing a grinding/stuttering type noise/vibration when turning from start on cold days. Steering is stiff initially then problem goes away. I assume that's due to a cold power steering or something similar?

I'm in Florida, so we're only talking 40-60 degree outside temps.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
just to throw it out here in the thread. Q5 steering wheel stiffens up on turns. its a feature that they have to avoid over steer. correct me if im wrong guys.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is a very noticeable slow vibration/pulsation when turning enough to back out of a parking space or turning a corner. It makes me think something's up with the power steering -- I'm no motor-man so that's just my "what it feels like" assessment.

I'll take it to the dealer. I was just hoping to go in there armed with knowledge ahead of time, running it by you guys first.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2014, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jazzy
This is a very noticeable slow vibration/pulsation when turning enough to back out of a parking space or turning a corner. It makes me think something's up with the power steering -- I'm no motor-man so that's just my "what it feels like" assessment.

I'll take it to the dealer. I was just hoping to go in there armed with knowledge ahead of time, running it by you guys first.

Thanks!
is the tires inflated properly?
Old 01-08-2014, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes. Why do you ask?

Would that have something to do with the sound/vibration pulse I hear/feel in the steering in the first 10 minutes after start?
Old 01-08-2014, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Not just that, but yes...

Connecting a few dots, you mention S line in your signature and that you are in Florida. Thus, does your Q5 have "summer" (performance) tires on it now, or all seasons? While much of the country is in a deep freeze, you might still be running summers there! If they are summers, my experience here in similar mild winter weather coastal CA when I run summers all year (or at least in cooler times/nights) is that overnight they often develop a bit of a "flat spot" sitting. Then it feels like a bit of vibration or possible wheel imbalance for a few miles. It takes some minutes of driving and then it settles in and the tires flex and warm up, and all is fine. Does this sound familiar? If so, chalk it up to your tires. Somewhat more pressure might help if you don't have it toward the higher end of the range already--the manual has more data here about the range, rather than the simplistic door pressure sticker. I haven't played w/ that using summers so can't really say if/how much it might improve.

Also, in general, any AWD Audi will have some tire/drivetrain wind up during slow speed tight corners. It's in the nature of a "full time" AWD system like an Audi that also uses a starting point fixed split set up (Torsen for longitudinal motor Audi's). Usually noticed only in parking. I don't particularly feel it in my Q5, but I was sensitive to it back on my first quattro--1996 V6 A6 . I see you have/had an older A8 too. If it is an L like mine, that wheel base is so long and everything quite well suppressed in an A8 class vehicle that you may not have felt it much there. I didn't feel it in general in my 2000 A6 4.2 either that shared a lot of the same drivetrain stuff as the D2 A8.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 01-08-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Link to a thread I started few weeks ago: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2858054
Didn't really get me anywhere. Shudder is still present and its magnitude makes "normal" hard to swallow. Will bring it up during the 5k service.

Quick Reply: Steering/Turning noise at start...