Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Cam belt change

Old 01-09-2014, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam belt change

Good morning everyone.
I LOVE AUDI'S.
I currently run an A6 Allroad year 2000, 2.5 V6 diesel, Auto and I love it.
The Allroad has done 133k miles with a good service record to 125k when I acquired it.
On a time basis it needs a Timing Belt change and have noticed that the AUX belt is beginning to 'crack up'.
Went to my dealer who quoted me £1200!!!!!!
Has anyone any personal information about a cam belt change on this model, please?
I have owned 5 Audi's over the years and have changed belts on two of them, albeit five cylinder models.
I am pretty old but have spent several years in the 'trade' and have tools but no money!!

Thanks, Chris
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chriswilly
Good morning everyone.
I LOVE AUDI'S.
The Allroad has done 133k miles with a good service record to 125k when I acquired it.
On a time basis it needs a Timing Belt change and have noticed that the AUX belt is beginning to 'crack up'.
Has anyone any personal information about a cam belt change on this model, please?
I have owned 5 Audi's over the years and have changed belts on two of them, albeit five cylinder models.
I am pretty old but have spent several years in the 'trade' and have tools but no money!!

Thanks, Chris
Hi Chris,

there is a lot to the V6 timing belt but you can DIY OK but you NEED a manual,
you also need the locking tools, crank, 2 x cam, Fuel pump, you cannot just mark it and hope for the best, the sprockets on the cams are on a taper and need loosening to set the belts properly, so you lock the actual cam and rotate teh sprocket once loosened, also once back together you need VCDS (VAG COM) to set the injector pump timing properly

it is expensive for all parts £400+ depending on what you want to change

timing belt
rollers kit
tentioners
v-belts
thermostat

i recomend a MUST is to change the thermostat while its in bits and the Tentioner bushes for the pivot for the Poly V Belt,

the thermostat can only be changed with teh belt off so to do it later is a nightmare, also the tensioner bushes are common to wear pulling the tentioner off square and pulling the v-belt off and you can then imagine the damage it can do,

regards
Andy
Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While in there, I also replaced the POS plastic thermostat housing with the metal one from an S4. There's a fairly complete write-up in the AW technical section, but don't skip the installation of the timing lock pin as outlined in the Bentley manual.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default work shop manual

Originally Posted by chriswilly
Good morning everyone.
I LOVE AUDI'S.

Thanks, Chris
Try to buy ElsaWin it is the best work shop manual for this car. And it says what special tools you need for this job
Old 01-09-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot water pump too!! was in a rush!!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

If the timing belt service hasn't been done in the past, on a 13 year old Audi with 125K miles, it should be done as soon as possible. Since the car's age is a factor as well as miles, it's living on borrowed time. My 2002 allroad was done at 7 years old with only 43K miles due to age deterioration of the belt.

If you're not inclined to DIY, a good Audi indy shop should be able to do the complete job including belt, thermostat, tensioners and water pump for about 25% less than what was quoted by the dealer.