A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Do HIDs lose brightness over time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 03:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McGyver meets Hardware store Kingpin!

Originally Posted by tester123
If it is, I removed that gear completely and used a small Internal tooth lock washer to secure the post and used grip pliers to turn/level it. never had a problem after that.
Well done! (Tips cap) It's nice when you find a use for old hardware like that. That's why the old lady has no defense to my hoarding of snap rings, cotter pins, zip ties, crosby clamps, xena posters, and famous golfers chew cups. You know, the usual stuff. I am using your post as evidentiary support in next "discussion" over garage storage requirements vs 2nd remodeling of kitchen.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nialist
Well done! (Tips cap) It's nice when you find a use for old hardware like that. That's why the old lady has no defense to my hoarding of snap rings, cotter pins, zip ties, crosby clamps, xena posters, and famous golfers chew cups. You know, the usual stuff. I am using your post as evidentiary support in next "discussion" over garage storage requirements vs 2nd remodeling of kitchen.
Thanks! Good luck!
Old 01-03-2014, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Isn't there something like eve90 or sumsuch that can be retrofitted for the projector lamps?
Someone was touting it a few weeks ago IIRC..lot less expensive than new assemblies.
That probably would have been me . The projectors are the EvoX-R and they are a direct bolt in replacement for all facelift C5's. With some fabrication they have been swapped into AllRoad lights as well so I assume the process would be similar for the pre-facelift C5 too.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...lft-headlights

As to the original question, most HID bulbs have an effective lifespan of about 2000hrs. Since they do colour shift as they age, they should always be replaced as a pair.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 01-03-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:36 AM
Audiworld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mithrilG60
That probably would have been me . The projectors are the EvoX-R and they are a direct bolt in replacement for all facelift C5's. With some fabrication they have been swapped into AllRoad lights as well so I assume the process would be similar for the pre-facelift C5 too.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...lft-headlights

As to the original question, most HID bulbs have an effective lifespan of about 2000hrs. Since they do colour shift as they age, they should always be replaced as a pair.
What I nice job on the EvoX-Rs. Looks kind of dark in mine, but the projector lens seems clear (same on the other side). Not sure if that indicates a reflector surface issue or not. I do get a yellow-brown border at the top of the beams. Interesting, I actually prefer the halogen high beams on my C5 to the stock bi-xenon high beams on the C6. But your pictures were stunning. Did you EvoX-R costs include new bulbs or just the projectors?
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Unless someone modified your lights before you bought yr car they're likely still fresnel lenses. You have to look closely, but you will see concentric lines in the lense if they're OEM. The yellow/brown border you're referring to is caused by diffraction at the edge the cutoff shield edge being modified by the OEM fresnel lenses. It's the same phenomenon that produces the blue colour band on the EvoX's, the colour is stronger because the clear lenses produce less diffusion in the beam. I didn't buy new bulbs to go with the new projectors, both the before and after photos in that thread at using a set Phillips 85122+ that I bought a little over 3 years ago. At the time those pics were taken I'd guestimate they had about 600 - 800 hrs of total use.

Edit: FYI, your C5 headlights are bi-xenon as well. All A6's with the xenon option use a combination iof halogen and xenon for high beam. "Bi-xenon" just refers to the fact that the projectors cutoff shield is actuated to allow them to flip out of the beam on high and therefore expand the output. Just try replacing the bulbs first.. A pair of 85122+ cost $95 and if it turns out to be burned out projector bowls you can just reuse the bulbs in the replacement projectors

Last edited by mithrilG60; 01-04-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mithrilG60
Unless someone modified your lights before you bought yr car they're likely still fresnel lenses. You have to look closely, but you will see concentric lines in the lense if they're OEM. The yellow/brown border you're referring to is caused by diffraction at the edge the cutoff shield edge being modified by the OEM fresnel lenses. It's the same phenomenon that produces the blue colour band on the EvoX's, the colour is stronger because the clear lenses produce less diffusion in the beam. I didn't buy new bulbs to go with the new projectors, both the before and after photos in that thread at using a set Phillips 85122+ that I bought a little over 3 years ago. At the time those pics were taken I'd guestimate they had about 600 - 800 hrs of total use.

Edit: FYI, your C5 headlights are bi-xenon as well. All A6's with the xenon option use a combination iof halogen and xenon for high beam. "Bi-xenon" just refers to the fact that the projectors cutoff shield is actuated to allow them to flip out of the beam on high and therefore expand the output. Just try replacing the bulbs first.. A pair of 85122+ cost $95 and if it turns out to be burned out projector bowls you can just reuse the bulbs in the replacement projectors
Thank you. Will definitely try a set of bulbs. I don't think the lights are modified - 2nd owner. 1st owner was a nice old gal. But had a look and could see the concentric circles when shining a flashlight at the lens at an angle.

So that is interesting, did not realize the C5's also had shutters. My C6 only has the HID and DRLs. Definitely not as bright as the C5 when on high beam but I don't get the same diffraction (actually don't notice any color band). Probably could use the EvoX's more on that one.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Audiworld Senior Member

Originally Posted by twentysevenlitres
Or Osram...

Agree though - chinese make lots of fake bulbs. Price is normally the best indicator.
Anyone have a good source? The retrofit source at $95/pair?
Old 02-11-2014, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

The Retrofit Source or HIDBulbs R Us, you'll see cheaper on eBay but most of those will be fake.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg617
So that is interesting, did not realize the C5's also had shutters. My C6 only has the HID and DRLs. Definitely not as bright as the C5 when on high beam but I don't get the same diffraction (actually don't notice any color band). Probably could use the EvoX's more on that one.

I also didn't realize that. I guess I've always assumed just the halogen light popped on because it washes out the lighter blue color so much more. Good information to have though. I think my bulbs may be on the way out since I briefly see a brownish/pinkish tint when they first kick on.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Gsrob
I also didn't realize that. I guess I've always assumed just the halogen light popped on because it washes out the lighter blue color so much more. Good information to have though. I think my bulbs may be on the way out since I briefly see a brownish/pinkish tint when they first kick on.
Color shift during power up is completely normal. It takes time for the salts inside the capsule to vapourize and turn to plasma, that's what you're seeing as the light changes colour. Also there shouldn't be any blue in your lights unless you've gone to after martet bulbs in the 6000K+ temp range. Factory HID run at 4300K, just on the yellow side of pure white, the blue that people always attribute as "HID colour" is just diffraction caused by the light beam being warped by the edge of the cutoff shield. As the cutoff is closest to the vision of oncoming traffic you sometimes get colour flicker and "blue light" as the cutoff bounces in and out of oncoming traffic's vision.

Quick Reply: Do HIDs lose brightness over time?