Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Heated Steering Wheel Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 04:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heated Steering Wheel Question

Does anyone know how long the heat is supposed to stay on before it shuts off and will it automatically start up again after short period time or do you have to keep turning it on and off.

Thanks Guys
Old 12-22-2013, 05:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ctsearay
Does anyone know how long the heat is supposed to stay on before it shuts off and will it automatically start up again after short period time or do you have to keep turning it on and off.

Thanks Guys
If the 2012 Q7 works like my 2013 A6, the heated wheel remains activated until you turn it off and will remain defaulted to your last setting indefinitely. These days, Audi has designed it to adjust the amount of heat based on the interior temp so sometimes it will feel like there's almost no heat in the wheel after the car's cabin warms up. I sort of miss the old days when the wheel got really warm and stayed that way.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Mine stays on until I turn it off. And what snagitseven said makes sense, as I do feel it decrease in warmth as the cabin heats up.

While we're on the topic, I wonder if the passenger seat stays warm when the heater is on and no one is sitting in it? My Escalade would not heat up if the seat belt wasn't buckled, heater on.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 44 Posts

This is almost like the question, if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a noise if no one is there to hear it? Similar to the steering wheel, the seat heater temp is regulated by feedback from body heat. I guess the only way to find out is turn it on when there's no passenger and see if it gets warm to the touch.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I came from a fullsize GMC Denali and the seats would burn your butt. These seem just before ok at best. They gave me a Q5 to use while they did service and those seats and steering wheel burned my hands and butt. And they say all mine are working fine. "I dunno"
Old 01-07-2014, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I have another question about heated steering wheels...and I cannot RTFM because I just got the vehicle last week but with no manual :-(

I have a 2011 Q7 TDI Prestige. The rear seats are heated. There is no heat button on the steering wheel (4 spoke, non-S-Line). After a minute or two though, I swear that the wheel does seem to get warm but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it (might just be that the wheel isn't as cold as every other surface so it just seems heated).

Is it "automatically" heated if the driver's seat heater is switched on? Or could it come with rear seat heated as a stand alone option without the full cold weather pkg?

Confused. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canadian Lurker
Sorry, I have another question about heated steering wheels...and I cannot RTFM because I just got the vehicle last week but with no manual :-(

I have a 2011 Q7 TDI Prestige. The rear seats are heated. There is no heat button on the steering wheel (4 spoke, non-S-Line). After a minute or two though, I swear that the wheel does seem to get warm but I'm not sure if I'm imagining it (might just be that the wheel isn't as cold as every other surface so it just seems heated).

Is it "automatically" heated if the driver's seat heater is switched on? Or could it come with rear seat heated as a stand alone option without the full cold weather pkg?

Confused. Thanks for any help.
I think you do have a heat button on the steering wheel, it is just very difficult to find. There should be a button on the backside of one of the steering wheel spokes at the 7:00 position towards the steering column if I remember correctly. It cannot be seen by looking at the wheel straight on. I almost think Audi hid it purposely, for what reason I have no idea. You would never know it is there. I turn mine on and off by "feeling" under the spoke.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikemdd
I think you do have a heat button on the steering wheel, it is just very difficult to find. There should be a button on the backside of one of the steering wheel spokes at the 7:00 position towards the steering column if I remember correctly. It cannot be seen by looking at the wheel straight on. I almost think Audi hid it purposely, for what reason I have no idea. You would never know it is there. I turn mine on and off by "feeling" under the spoke.
Well, thank goodness it was either left on by the previous owner or otherwise inadvertently turned on after we took possession or I would have totally missed it!!! Having this feature is very handy right now considering the temperatures we're all facing in the USA/Canada with this dreaded "Polar Vortex" descending on us...I'm going to see if I can find the magic button tonight on the drive home after work.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

Mikemdd is correct, odd location on back of spoke. It was there on my 2011; however, is in a more conventional location on my 2014. Now located on face of steering wheel with other buttons.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Found it! Thanks for the help.

:-)