TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Could my clutch slipping be tied to an over filled fluid reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could my clutch slipping be tied to an over filled fluid reservoir?

I'm driving an '03 TT Quattro 225 with about 102,000 miles on it and the clutch has been slipping on it for about the past 10,000 miles but it happens so seldom (~once a week) I haven't worried too much about it. I had been planning on getting it replaced for awhile but the problem hasn't gotten any worse over the past year. It will occasionally slip if I accelerate on a hill going around 2.5-3000 rpms.

A coworker thought it was odd to need a new clutch at such low miles and the fact that it hasn't gotten any worse over the past year since it's first occurrence and mentioned that I may have the same issue his old civic had where someone topped off the fluids instead of going to the fill line and when the fluid heats up from the engine it expands and puts pressure on the clutch. Now the first time this happened to me was right after a tune up and I've checked the brake/transmission fluid reservoir and it is topped off but I see no fill line. Could this be the source of my issues?
Old 12-05-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no its because the clutch is worn and needs replacing, the fluid res has nothing to do with it. it will get worse and you may damage flywheel if not replaced soon, dont overheat the flywheel.

Originally Posted by lexsmith
I'm driving an '03 TT Quattro 225 with about 102,000 miles on it and the clutch has been slipping on it for about the past 10,000 miles but it happens so seldom (~once a week) I haven't worried too much about it. I had been planning on getting it replaced for awhile but the problem hasn't gotten any worse over the past year. It will occasionally slip if I accelerate on a hill going around 2.5-3000 rpms.

A coworker thought it was odd to need a new clutch at such low miles and the fact that it hasn't gotten any worse over the past year since it's first occurrence and mentioned that I may have the same issue his old civic had where someone topped off the fluids instead of going to the fill line and when the fluid heats up from the engine it expands and puts pressure on the clutch. Now the first time this happened to me was right after a tune up and I've checked the brake/transmission fluid reservoir and it is topped off but I see no fill line. Could this be the source of my issues?