A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Found oil in all spark plug wells... What now?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the cylinder head need to be removed to get to the gasket inside the cylinder head?

Name:  41e43b94-4c23-4f6e-90b7-49a1f1d258fd_zps5f642286.jpg
Views: 11300
Size:  59.9 KB
Old 12-08-2013, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No. Most likely the oil is migrating from the valve cover. Replace that gasket and you should be okay.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by boonies
No. Most likely the oil is migrating from the valve cover. Replace that gasket and you should be okay.
So how do you get to it? To me it looks like the head must come off to replace. If so, doesn't that mean the rear covers would have to come off too = not a DIY job?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know that the oil is leaking where your have added the arrow? IMO it is unlikely.

Remember, the oil pressure and cam movement will push a lot of oil around that space and the dried out (at 100k miles) valve cover gasket simply won't keep the oil where it belongs.

The leak is most likely coming from the top of the spark plug tube, which will be sealed by a new valve cover gasket. If you install the gasket (and it isn't pinched or off center) and it still leaks then you will need to do some research to find the answer.

Good luck.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by boonies
How do you know that the oil is leaking where your have added the arrow? IMO it is unlikely.

Remember, the oil pressure and cam movement will push a lot of oil around that space and the dried out (at 100k miles) valve cover gasket simply won't keep the oil where it belongs.

The leak is most likely coming from the top of the spark plug tube, which will be sealed by a new valve cover gasket. If you install the gasket (and it isn't pinched or off center) and it still leaks then you will need to do some research to find the answer.

Good luck.
I'm not 100% sure but I believe that I can see where the leak starts. I can also tell from where the oil starts on the coil pack. There is also a gasket where that arrow is pointing and if the valve cover started leaking it's reasonable to believe this would too.

I'm going to take that coil pack out and confirm...if it is, oh well. Maybe a small dab of sealant inside the spark plug tube for a temp patch or no?
Old 04-22-2014, 05:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by r1racer
Does the cylinder head need to be removed to get to the gasket inside the cylinder head?

So I replaced the valve cover gasket and upper tube seal. The job wasn't too bad, but the air filter box will be the end of me, lol. I've driven just over 5k miles and checked the wells, OIL AGAIN! I've either pinched the gaskets somewhere, or there's a leak coming from where r1racer has pointed to.
r1 - did you happen to look further into your theory?

I'm going to order another set of gaskets and take it all apart again. Hopefully I've just pinched a gasket, or maybe I used to much RTV sealant? Do you even think I need to use RTV?
Old 04-22-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is the cam bearing/upper cylinder head. Theres no gasket. Its silicone sealer. You really should remove the timing belt when you remove that because it can do strange things to the cams with all the belt tension on and cams not bolted down. Remove bolts, pry it off. Its tuff, and clean everything super good and use like Ultra Grey or Ultra black RTV, VERY small amount, remember theres like almost NO clearance when its bolted down so a small layer is squished to almost nothing.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by emmm
maybe I used to much RTV sealant?
If you used any at all, you used too much.

Clean that crap up and try a new gasket unless you are fairly sure the leak is coming from further below. Personally, I doubt that the lower gasket is the issue if you got oil in the plug wells that quickly. Sounds like the leak is worse not better?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:32 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
That is the cam bearing/upper cylinder head. Theres no gasket. Its silicone sealer.
That depends on the year. Many have the internal gasket around the wells. IIRC, 05 has a gasket.

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
You really should remove the timing belt when you remove that because it can do strange things to the cams with all the belt tension on and cams not bolted down.
You mean chain, not belts?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
If you used any at all, you used too much.

Clean that crap up and try a new gasket unless you are fairly sure the leak is coming from further below. Personally, I doubt that the lower gasket is the issue if you got oil in the plug wells that quickly. Sounds like the leak is worse not better?
Ok great, thanks! Ordering new gaskets and gonna give it another shot (without RTV). I'll come back with some results.

Quick Reply: Found oil in all spark plug wells... What now?