Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Our Q7 and Invision

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our Q7 and Invision

Hello everyone.

New member here. We picked up our new Q7 TDI a couple of months ago and we haven't stopped smiling yet. This is the best vehicle we've owned. I was going to wait until Spring to post pictures of our new baby since we can't seem to keep it clean due to the snow and slush but I just can't wait to share our wonderful experience with this vehicle. As you can see from the pictures, the car is barely clean (no point detailing it yet when 10 minutes later, it's all dirty and muddy again). In the 9 weeks we've owned the vehicle, we've already put on more than 6000 km (approx. 3800 miles) - mostly highway miles. We use it mostly to lug our boys around from one ice arena to the next (our boys play hockey) and boy, does it ever perform well on the highways. I'm really loving the torque on the tubo diesel and its impressive passing capability. Anyway, our TDI will be due for its first check up (8000 km) and when we bring it in to the dealership, we'll purchase the extended warranty since we'll likely put on between 30,000 to 40,000 km a year on this baby.

I'm looking forward to Spring since I'll get to put on the standard 20" rims the vehicle came with. We opted to get another set for winter driving, which the vehicle is currently equipped with. Living up here in Canada (Calgary) and the amount of highway driving we do - it's almost a necessity to have winter wheels and tires.

We've also decided to put the Invision Headrest DVD entertainment units and so far, so good. Sorry about the picture quality - these were taken with my IPhone.

Quick question: Our vehicle came with the trailer hitch which I really don't care for, and I understand that in order to get the side steps or running boards, the trailer hitch has to go - is this correct? Is it simple to remove the hitch? Can the running boards be put on an S-Line Q7? Thanks.
Attached Images    
Old 03-17-2010, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice Q7 Calgary! Can't wait to see that around town!

My Q5 should be arriving this week (white) and my husband is considering ordering a Q7 TDI, although we can't actually test drive one.

I have a few questions for you:

- how does the TDI drive compared to the 4.2 (if you drove one)
- what dealer did you go through in Calgary

Also, do you mind telling us if they took any money off the MSRP?

My son is also in hockey but how in the heck did you rack up that many KM's already?
Old 03-17-2010, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi congrats and welcome. Another Great looking Q7, Looks like Teak although the sunlight is not doing it justice.
To remove the hitch you have to pull off the back bumper and possibly make some adaption via VCDS which may be more hassle than getting dealer to adapt the mounting plate or bolt type to share. There are also aftermarket running boards which do not seem to cause the same dilemma. Perhaps a few mmore enquiries might go a long way at this stage.
Your rear valance is also cut away for tow hitch so you will need a replacement.
The factory tow package on your Q7 means it has bigger transmission oil coolers, electronics program and higher rating than aftermarket version so the resale value should be higher long term. If you do remove it maybe keep it.

Maybe keeping that hitch for a four bike rack might also be an option. BTW just checking... you do have the actual ball pulled out right? I have seen some pretty smart personalised hitch covers too.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Jocjayhay,

We actually live south of Calgary in Heritage Pointe so my kids go to school in Okotoks and they play hockey for Okotoks as well, which means they play country hockey which translates to a lot of travelling. We play in places where it will take you anywhere between 2 hours to 3 hours one way to get there - hence the big mileage. We had 3 boys in hockey for the longest time (now down to 2 only). We had a brand new Odyssey which we bought 3.5 years ago and by the time we sold it (the Q7 is its replacement), we've racked up 165,000 km. My C350 is racking up a lot of miles, too. Anyway, to answer your questions: We bought the Q7 at Glenmore Audi back in October 2009 - we didn't order it, our salesman found a vehicle for us with all the options we want (Navigation Package, Technology Package, Audio Package, S-Line Sport Package, Panoramic Sunroof, 3rd row seating, Towing Package)that's already built and the right color as well - Teak Brown Metallic, so it didn't take us long to wait for it. At the time, they had a Corporate Discount program, so we saved about 8% (approx. $6100 off MSRP), but when we picked up the vehicle in January, we were advised that they're discontinuing the program - so we got lucky. As far as comparing the TDI to the 4.2, we didn't test drive the 4.2. I knew what I wanted so we didn't bother comparing the two. Glenmore Audi has a demo TDI so your husband should be able to test drive it. Good luck and enjoy your new Q5.

JustForFun,
Thanks for the feedback and the info. I will check around and do some more research regarding the side step. You're probably right about the hitch being more cumbersome to remove it.

Cheers.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=Perodogo;23944044]Jocjayhay,

We actually live south of Calgary in Heritage Pointe so my kids go to school in Okotoks and they play hockey for Okotoks as well, which means they play country hockey which translates to a lot of travelling. We play in places where it will take you anywhere between 2 hours to 3 hours one way to get there - hence the big mileage. We had 3 boys in hockey for the longest time (now down to 2 only). We had a brand new Odyssey which we bought 3.5 years ago and by the time we sold it (the Q7 is its replacement), we've racked up 165,000 km. My C350 is racking up a lot of miles, too. Anyway, to answer your questions: We bought the Q7 at Glenmore Audi back in October 2009 - we didn't order it, our salesman found a vehicle for us with all the options we want (Navigation Package, Technology Package, Audio Package, S-Line Sport Package, Panoramic Sunroof, 3rd row seating, Towing Package)that's already built and the right color as well - Teak Brown Metallic, so it didn't take us long to wait for it. At the time, they had a Corporate Discount program, so we saved about 8% (approx. $6100 off MSRP), but when we picked up the vehicle in January, we were advised that they're discontinuing the program - so we got lucky. As far as comparing the TDI to the 4.2, we didn't test drive the 4.2. I knew what I wanted so we didn't bother comparing the two. Glenmore Audi has a demo TDI so your husband should be able to test drive it. Good luck and enjoy your new Q5.

Hi. Wow, that's a lot of KM's! We live in Springbank so fortunately, we play in Calgary! City Finals tonight!

Glenmore Audi no longer has the TDI to test drive. We had to drive the 4.2. But the TDI is what we want for fuel economy. So, that's what we'll probably order.

Glenmore Audi is not offering much off the price of the car $1400. Which, IMO, isn't very good especially considering we just bought a Q5 from them too.

We're going to shop around I think. I don't particularly love the sales person at Glenmore Audi to make loyalty an issue.