A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-20-2016, 10:50 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Fuel System Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY 55k Service 2005 C6

Old 08-24-2009, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree - should be sticky!! admins please do needful.

I've taken a pic of the parts needed - r1racer can you please add/correct?!

Coil pack (last item) is optional.
Attached Images   

Last edited by am_ver; 08-25-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by am_ver
I agree - should be sticky!! admins please do needful.

I've taken a pic of the parts needed - r1racer can you please add/correct?!

Coil pack (last item) is optional.
You will also need:

Oil filter
Air filter
Fuel filter (optional)- will do a DYI this weekend

Not sure if you have the right cabin filter. To be on the safe side, find the one that says "cabin filter" by doing a part search for "filter". Here was my order. Also, be sure you include your vin in your order so they can check to make sure you are ordering the correct parts. When I initially ordered my cabin filter, they told me I needed two (which was correct) and my order went up by about ten bucks. They took off the cabin filter I had in my original order at 18.00 (same price as the one in your order) and added the one below at 43.56. They told me that their website was incorrect for this part. So just make sure you tell them that you need two "cabin" filters when you order. They should already know though.

Description Qty Price Core Price Total Price
Collision Catalog - 2005 - Audi - A6, Spark plug - 3.2 liter - 3.2 liter 6 $11.52 $0.00 $69.12

Mechanical Catalog - 2005 - Audi - A6, Air filter, a6, s6, 3.2l,4.2l 1 $15.48 $0.00 $15.48

Mechanical Catalog - 2005 - Audi - A6, Cabin air filter, a6, s6, 3.2l,4.2l, 5.2l SET 1 $43.56 $0.00 $43.56

Collision Catalog - 2005 - Audi - A6 Electrical, Ignition system, Ignition coil, Ignition coil - 3.2 liter - 3.2 liter 6 $22.61 $0.00 $135.66

Mechanical Catalog - 2005 - Audi - A6, Fuel filter, a6, s6, 3.2l 1 $23.52 $0.00 $23.52

Mechanical Catalog - 2005 - Audi - A6, Oil filter, a6, s6, 3.2l, from 4f-5-09501 1 $10.08 $0.00 $10.08

Sub Total $297.42
Tax $0.00
Shipping $10.50
Handling Fee $0.00
Total $307.92

I will take a pic like yours and post it.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Please make this a sticky

This is great information that is well done and should be stored at the top for all members to have access to.

Thanks.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Sorry...

just saw it became a sticky, my bad.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, great post. But can you list out all items in a list form that needs to be done (or should be done) for the 55K service?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 08-29-2009, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And the air filter too??
Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And the air filter too??
Air filter is in the very first post after the oil change. If I have time take some pics for the air filter. It's simple though.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks to the excellent instructions posted by racer, I was able to complete the following today:

- Cabin filter
- Spark Plugs
- Air filter

couple of tips -

Working in Engine bay:

Stuff can fall inside the engine bay. My screw driver fell in and I couldn't see it initially - scared the hell out of me about what all can go wrong because of it. Luckily I was able to see it and a hand was able to go in to fetch it out. Use a towel and cover the engine area etc. Be careful about what you are keeping around it - best not to leave stuff around that area.

Cabin Filter:

The cabin filter chamber is towards the middle console side. It is very dark inside that small opening and I almost thought that my car didn't have the chamber to host the filters. Finally found the opening. Also, to put the second filter in, the first filter has to be pushed down (and not up as I was thinking it to be). Things do get a tricky when you in that position and working in that small area - 'up' could become 'down' for u and vice versa. So if after putting the first filter, you get the feeling that there is no room for the second, push the filter down, and if it still does not work, push it up.

Spark Plugs:

Removing the harness got very hard for me - it came off for two of the coil packs, but the last one refused to budge. It took a lot of force and patience to remove the harness on both sides.

I had to remove the air filter piece to be able to get the two top coil pack on the left side. My extension bit would not go inside the spark plug cavity otherwise due to the obstruction by the air filter.

To remove the coil pack I had to use a screw driver. You need to pull the thing out and use a lot of force. I wasn't sure if that thing unscrewed off or what and I was scared to use force since I didn't want anything to break - but you have to just pull it out.

Air Filter:

To get the part that snaps out, i.e the one that houses the air filter, I had to use a screw driver to remove it (pry it open - you will see the two parts if you try and pull them apart) from the main housing. It is held together by the two clips that are on top of the air filter and a clip on snap mechanism at the bottom - once those clips are removed, the right side comes off with a little force.

Trunk

If you close your truck after disconnecting the battery, you will not be able to open it again after doing your stuff under the hood. The trunk pop thingie on the driver door does not work because the battery is not connected. Not to worry, use your key and there is a keyhole under the trunk, so you open it the old fashioned way.

How do we reset the service stuff (reminder??) using the VAG-COM? Steps on how to do that would be great too!

Now if we can just get DIY instructions on how to replace the brake pads and the rotors - that would be awesome!!

Last edited by am_ver; 09-06-2009 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

What are the best Spark Plugs to buy?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks to the excellent instructions posted by racer, I was able to complete the following today:

- Cabin filter
- Spark Plugs
- Air filter

couple of tips -

Working in Engine bay:

Stuff can fall inside the engine bay. My screw driver fell in and I couldn't see it initially - scared the hell out of me about what all can go wrong because of it. Luckily I was able to see it and a hand was able to go in to fetch it out. Use a towel and cover the engine area etc. Be careful about what you are keeping around it - best not to leave stuff around that area.

Cabin Filter:

The cabin filter chamber is towards the middle console side. It is very dark inside that small opening and I almost thought that my car didn't have the chamber to hosts the filters. Finally found the opening. Also, to put the second filter in, the first filter has to be pushed down (and not up as I was thinking it to be). Things do get a tricky when you in that position and working in that small area - 'up' could become 'down' for u and vice versa. So if after putting the first filter, you get the feeling that there is no room for the second, push the filter down, and if it still does not work, push it up.

Spark Plugs:

Removing the harness got very hard for me - it came off for two of the coil packs, but the last one refused to budge. It took a lot of force and patience to remove the harness on both sides.

I had to remove the air filter piece to be able to get the two top coil pack on the left side. My extension bit would not go inside the spark plug cavity otherwise due to the obstruction by the air filter.

To remove the coil pack I had to use a screw driver. You need to pull the thing out and use a lot of force. I wasn't sure if that thing unscrewed off or what and I was scared to use force since I didn't want anything to break - but you have to just pull it out.

Air Filter:

To get the part that snaps out, i.e the one that houses the air filter, I had to use a screw driver to remove it (pry it open - you will see the two parts if you try and pull them apart) from the main housing. It is held together by the two clips that are on top of the air filter and a clip on snap mechanism at the bottom - once those clips are removed, the right side comes off with a little force.

Trunk

If you close your truck after disconnecting the battery, you will not be able to open it again after doing your stuff under the hood. The trunk pop thingie on the driver door does not work because the battery is not connected. Not to worry, use your key and there is a keyhole under the trunk, so you open it the old fashioned way.

How do we reset the service stuff (reminder??) using the VAG-COM? Steps on how to do that would be great too!

Now if we can just get DIY instructions on how to replace the brake pads and the rotors - that would be awesome!!

Glad everything worked out for you!

Defintely need a light in order to see when doing the cabin filter, but the compartment is right there in front of you to the left. As far as replacing the cabin filter goes, what do you mean you have to push the filter "down" to put the second one in? Isn't that impossible without crushing it. Unless you mean pushing it to the side. I just pushed the first one up and then put the second one in. The first one sits directly on top of the second/bottom one. If the first one falls down hold it with one hand while you put the other one in.

Removing the harness and coil packs should not be difficult. As long as you get the harness over the little tab that's a part of the coil pack they will slide right out. Use two hands, one to pry out the harness over the tab and the other to push the harness down disengaging it from the coil pack. Coil packs are almost impossible to remove just using your hands. Two ways to remove them with ease. The first is to buy a coil pack puller from the dealer or online somewhere. The second is to use both hands while you are pulling up with one and prying the coil pack out by using a screwdriver. You take the screwdriver, position it underneath the coil pack, and point the tip down (not up) onto the cylinder head. They'll come right out.

To reset the service remider go to functions. I will post the specifics when I get home. You can change when the service reminder comes on, but for the most part you should keep the stock settings.

Brakes and pads, lol hopefully I won't be doing a DIY for a while. Fuel filter is still to come...I didn't have time to do it this weekend.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY 55k Service 2005 C6