TT (Mk1) Discussion Discussion forum for the Mk1 Audi TT Coupe & Roadster produced from 2000-2006

Cool Door Lock and Key FOB

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cool Door Lock and Key FOB

I recently gave someone a jump start and during the procedure the battery cable came loose and popped off. After discovering this I reattached it but my remote door key FOB wasn't working anymore.

Just to ensure it wasn't a coincidental dead battery, I checked the FOB unit at a Shucks as they have a free RF tester beside the battery stand. It activated the receiver and so it passed that test.

Consulting the owner's manual it says I can reprogram the remote by resetting the code. This is accomplished by pressing the unlock or lock button on the remote once and then within one minute locking or unlocking the driver's door with the master key.

This is where my problem occurs. It seems that the Master Key is not the correct key for the driver's side door lock. It does work on the passenger side as does my valet key but neither works on the driver's side. I tried lubing the lock cylinder but neither key seats all the way into the lock. I suspect that prior to me owning the vehicle the lock cylinder was replaced on the driver's side door for some reason. Maybe the door was replaced but the CarFax was clean and the PO said nothing about an accident.

Any ideas on the best way to get my remote activated again? Is it difficult to rekey the lock cylinder and is it expensive or can I do all or some of it myself. Any advice or other ideas how to get my remote to work? I tried the procedure with the passenger door but no luck.

Thanks

TT in Seattle