A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

antenna amplifier removal and VAG 00856 repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default antenna amplifier removal and VAG 00856 repair

So I had a VAG code 00856 (antenna amplifier open circuit) code and needed to access the amplifier so I could check out both ends of the two antenna cables RG174 coax with Fakra female ends on them.

One of the connectors was bad, so I ended up purchasing a patch cable on ebay and splicing it in (worked great and fixed the problem).

One challenge I had was figuring out where the amplifier and radio are. The radio is in the Navigation stack in the trunk (driver side). You remove two nuts at the top of the stack frame and one at the bottom and then you just lift it out of the hole, so you can get to the back of it. This stack contains the Navigation DVD player, Sirus satellite receiver, radio receiver, speech recognition unit, and audio amplifier.

I have included pictures of the back side of the two panels that you need to remove to get to the antenna amplifier. The panel along the top of the window just pops out (no screws), while the side panel has one screw (you will see it in the spot opened up by the panel you just removed), and another screw holding on a strap (it will be obvious). One thing to be careful of is the tabs on the side panel that slide into the rear window tray.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Pictures

Here are the pics for the prior post
Attached Images      
Old 02-17-2013, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

I know I'm going out of topic, but is there access to add more antenna's to the amplifier? Reason I want to install a tv module with having the after market antennas being noticeable.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I have a similar issue. I have audi a4 2006 (saloon) model. My radio stopped working audio system stopped working all of a sudden. The radio, CD player and my bluetooth sound. I have the audi symphony system and when I switch it on, I get just an on and off flash on the unit, it doesnt give me any sound. I plugged in one of these computers and it gave me the trouble code 00856 (antenna amplifier open circuit)

My first problem is locating where the amplifier is. I have looked in the trunk and cane seem to find where it is...Can you help point me in the right direction please?
Old 04-27-2014, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dejoskii
Hi,

I have a similar issue. I have audi a4 2006 (saloon) model. My radio stopped working audio system stopped working all of a sudden. The radio, CD player and my bluetooth sound. I have the audi symphony system and when I switch it on, I get just an on and off flash on the unit, it doesnt give me any sound. I plugged in one of these computers and it gave me the trouble code 00856 (antenna amplifier open circuit)

My first problem is locating where the amplifier is. I have looked in the trunk and cane seem to find where it is...Can you help point me in the right direction please?
You might want to post that question in the Audi A4 forum since this is the A6 forum. You'll get better help over there.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default radio receiver location on A6

The radio receiver unit on an A6 is in the trunk on the driver side of the car behind the side panel. It is mounted in a stack with the GPS unit and amplifier.

Originally Posted by dejoskii
Hi,

Old 03-17-2021, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sly59vette
Here are the pics for the prior post
Reviving an old thread, where can we find this adapter cable?

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/att...patchcable.jpg
Old 03-22-2021, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

It is called a FAKRA connector cable. You can purchase them on Amazon