Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Mods/Solutions: Front License Plate & Subwoofer upgrade

Old 01-26-2014, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SQ5 Mods/Solutions: Front License Plate & Subwoofer upgrade

Hi all,

I just thought I'd share with you some of the mods I made to my SQ5.

From the pics, you can see I tinted the front windows as well as the headlights and tail lights.

I hate the look of a front plate but I get tickets when parked on the streets of LA without one. I didn't want to drill holes in the SQ5 grill, so I installed a motorized, show n go front license plate holder. It took a few mods to get it to fit in front of the radiator, but I think it worked out well.
Here's a video of it in action:

The B&O sub in the trunk is a bit underwhelming... So I installed a 8" kicker sub and enclosure with a 500 watt kicker amp and a capacitor (I know its overkill, but it sounds prefect!)
Attached Images      
Old 01-26-2014, 10:08 AM
jga
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your motorized license plate is fantastic! Everyone in front license plate states would love this, or many would at least. I'm in Ohio where they are required but I ordered my SQ without the holder. I guess it is not heavily enforced here as I see many higher-end vehicles without them. Your solution would bring a lot of peace of mind though.

Jim
Old 01-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LASQ5
Hi all,

I hate the look of a front plate but I get tickets when parked on the streets of LA without one. I didn't want to drill holes in the SQ5 grill, so I installed a motorized, show n go front license plate holder. It took a few mods to get it to fit in front of the radiator, but I think it worked out well.
Bloody clever. Where did you get it? Steve
Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here are some links to the various upgrades:

Show n go:
Amazon.com: Show N Go Electric Powered License Plate Frame - Shows & Hides Automatically with Remote Key Fobs: Automotive Amazon.com: Show N Go Electric Powered License Plate Frame - Shows & Hides Automatically with Remote Key Fobs: Automotive

Kicker loaded 8" enclosure:
http://creativecaraudio.net/p/kicker...sure-40tcwrt82

Kicker 500 watt amp:
http://www.vminnovations.com/Product...-Package-.html
Old 01-26-2014, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install guide for the plate would be awesome!

Where did you plug the amp in to the head unit? Is there a RCA out already? And did you leave the B&O sub active as well?
Old 01-26-2014, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I've seen those motorized ones before - great mod. thanks for showing the video
Old 01-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many of the columns did you have to cut out from the lower grill? It looks good and is a good alternative to not running a front plate but not sure if I want to go cutting things..
Old 01-26-2014, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by osideaudi
How many of the columns did you have to cut out from the lower grill? It looks good and is a good alternative to not running a front plate but not sure if I want to go cutting things..
This is my question - looks like the middle 2 will have to go... I'm wandering about an install like this...

But the SQ5 has an undercut sloping lower bumper so not sure if it would work without the track for the plate always protruding a couple of inches forward of flush with the lowest edge of the bumper.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

To answer some of the install questions...

show n go:
I had to cut two columns out plus the plastic that the bottom of those two columns were attached to, so the plate can slide past without binding. -I was very reluctant to do this at first, but now that the show n go is mounted, you don't notice it... and when the plate is up, it blocks the hole entirely, so you can't see when the mods were made at all. It took about 1.5 hours to get it in there.

Subwoofer and amp:

They fit perfectly in the cargo area under the trunk floor. It takes up zero trunk space and is entirely hidden. The battery is right there, so it was easy to get power. I got the 12v remote from the Aux power outlet in the trunk. I didn't connect any RCAs to the head unit... This amp accepts speaker level inputs (thru the RCAs) so I just spliced it into the speaker wires for the sub (that are right there) and plugged it in. I also left the original sub connected. Total set up time: 1 hour.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by josedebardi
The SQ5 has an undercut sloping lower bumper so not sure if it would work without the track for the plate always protruding a couple of inches forward of flush with the lowest edge of the bumper.
The track on the show n go does not need to be installed level. It can be at an angle. There was just enough room for me to slide it in with zero protrusion from the grill. I have seen people successfully mount the plate and track under the vehicle, but I decided not to go that route, because I read a lot of comments from people who had done it that way, only to have the whole thing torn off when they pulled into into a steep driveway or something similar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5 Mods/Solutions: Front License Plate & Subwoofer upgrade