Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Interior trim swap tips?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior trim swap tips?

Has anyone successfully swapped the interior trim without causing any damage to the trim or surrounding plastic? I am looking to swap my cheap looking gloss walnut trim to the fine grain ash, but can't seem to find any details on removing the dash trim or the center console trim safely. The door trim looks pretty simple if I can jam a tool in the tiny gaps the Audi engineers have left for us, but the dash looks trim looks airtight.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jayz28
Has anyone successfully swapped the interior trim without causing any damage to the trim or surrounding plastic? I am looking to swap my cheap looking gloss walnut trim to the fine grain ash, but can't seem to find any details on removing the dash trim or the center console trim safely. The door trim looks pretty simple if I can jam a tool in the tiny gaps the Audi engineers have left for us, but the dash looks trim looks airtight.
I am planning to do this if I can get new trim parts. The front door trim is really easy. The rear trim has a weird tab that holds it in, which requires some extra jiggling. I broke the tab because I was pushing on it with a screwdriver. Anyway it didn't affect it fitting back on.

For the dash trim, there's some bolts to undo before you can pry it off. And the center console trim actually requires detaching the entire console. If you PM me I can send you some pics but I will be more help once I have actually done it
Old 01-20-2014, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jayz28
I am looking to swap my cheap looking gloss walnut trim to the fine grain ash.
I am happy that I have the rich lookig dark walnut trim instead of that cheap-o looking fine grain ash trim. A they say "one man's......."
Old 01-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would highly suggest a trim removal kit. All the pieces are plastic which will not damage your interior. I've been using this for a while and it's a life saver.

Click HERE to order or for more information

Jason
Old 01-20-2014, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I am happy that I have the rich lookig dark walnut trim instead of that cheap-o looking fine grain ash trim. A they say "one man's......."
I am actually complete opposite. To me, the fine ash grain looks a lot more better and rich than the shiny fake looking dark walnut. Well, to each his own.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The wifey likes the shiny ****...I like the the ash. My only complaint is that you don't see it at night with the black interior as much as you would the walnut.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gogo_vs
I am actually complete opposite. To me, the fine ash grain looks a lot more better and rich than the shiny fake looking dark walnut. Well, to each his own.
I strongly believe to each his own. I only posted in reaction to the OP's rather opinionated statement: "I am looking to swap my cheap looking gloss walnut trim to the fine grain ash". I was trying to suggest to the OP your exact point. Any of the Audi trim finishes is fine by me - I can live with them all. I just wish the OP had said something like "I am not a fan of the dark walnut and am looking to replace it with the fine grain ash" - less insulting to others' tastes IMO.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:38 PM
Banned

I like the Walnut better. Always have. Had Burl in multiple other cars too. Either both the Walnut and Ash look worlds better than the layered Oak. That looks cheap as hell.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure about the packages in the US, but here in Canada, S-line trim (I think you guys call it sport package ) comes with brushed aluminum trim ... Which when combined with black leather is orgasm worthy. Seriously, it looks so awesome
Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2014, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The brushed aluminum dents very easily. I swapped my Brushed aluminum with carbon fiber and did it myself. I posted pictures and how it was done on a thread last year. What are u looking to change to? I wouldnt recommend the aluminum because of the dent issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interior trim swap tips?